Chapter 4

Jack's P.O.V

I was on my way to the graveyard, when I happened to see Sally. "Hey! Sally!" I called out to her. She turned and smiled. "Jack!" She answered and came over to me. I smiled warmly for her. We are great friends, and we both have been having feelings for each other, although hers are much stronger than mine. I think of her as my closest possible friend and I would do anything to make her happy, but she thinks of me as....... Well more than just a friend.

She asked me where I was going, so I told her I was going to spend some time with Tiffany in the graveyard. Her smile suddenly changed and went to an upsetting face. I frowned as well.
"What's wrong Sally?" I asked her with my hand on her shoulder. "Well it's just that.....you've been spending alot of time with her and I'm starting to worry if she's...... Getting in the way," Sally responded as she fiddled with her fingers. I can't believe her. Why would she say something like that?
I was about to lose it, but I kept my cool. "What do you mean,'getting in the way'?" I asked, trying to hide the anger in my voice. Sally was still flustered by what she had said. She finally answered,"Um.... Nevermind about that! So, can I come with you?" I was startled by her sudden want to join me, but I allowed it.

On the way there, we didn't speak much. Sally tried to start a conversation but I tried my best to ignore her. I didn't want to talk to someone who didn't like one of my friends. Especially Tiffany. I've always noticed a bit of conflict between them but nothing much.

When we were at the gate of the graveyard, we both stopped. Sally grabbed my arm to hold me back. I gave her a puzzled look. "Jack," she said," I have to tell you something..."
I looked at her with the same puzzled look, but I soon loosened her grip around my arm. When I did so, she held my hand. I tried to give her a sly smile but it was mixed with confusion. What was going on with her? 

"Jack.... I want to do it again," She said as she studided the ground below. She blushed brightly by what she had said. I didn't understand, what did she mean? We have have done many things together. We've went out on Halloween together, we often went out on small dates, we sometimes-

"I want to be on the hill with you again..... and sing like we did," she responded,"and.... and I won't run away this time." I was astonished by her request. I now realized what she meant. Months ago, we had sung in harmony on the hill that was just past this gate. At the end of our song, we had kissed. But I only did that to make her happy. I knew she was having strong feelings for me at that time, so I gave her what she wanted. After the meaningless kiss, she had run off, embarressed by her own feelings. Now that she wanted to repeat that same act, I wasn't sure if I could do it. I had gotten lucky when she ran away, for I did not want to let her know that I did not feel the same. "Sally, You don't have to do this just to-" she cut me off. "No Jack, I want to do this again. I won't run away and I will stand up to my fear of you knowing that I love you..." Her voice shrunk as she finished her sentence. I couldn't help but show her my shock. I wasn't sure how to react. I didn't want to have to deal with the silence between us like we had after she ran off the first time. 

"Please Jack..."