Chapter 3

"YOU DID WHAT?!" Dev yelled.

"Would you shhh!!?" I semi-yelled.

"Sorry. But how could you do that?" She asked.

"Yeah Steph. This is pretty bad." Jan said.

"Don't you think I know that?" I blew air out my mouth. "And he's my new artist."

"You are askin' for trouble now. When Santo finds out who yo new artist." They looked at each other. "It's gon be trouble. Trouble." Dev and Jan said in unison laughing.

"This is not funny."

"You're right. You're right. I'm sorry." Dev agreed holding back her laugh.

"Ya know? I think you two like taunting me."

"No. No. Okay. I'm sorry but seriously Steph. You've got yourself caught up. You knew you still had some unresolved feelings for Aug when Santo popped the question and I'm pretty sure it didn't help when August walked into your office wanting to be apart of your record label." Jan said.

"Look I know it was a bad idea. But with Aug I feel like one person and with Santo I feel like someone else."

"We've all been friends for a long time. Me you, Jan, Micheal, Aug, Santo and Dell. The whole squad. We know you. You're not ready to get married. Not to Santo you aren't. You love August so much that you can't even see straight. You can't even think straight. Because you know deep down that, that ring is supposed to be from August and not Santo." Dev advised.

"But I love Santo. I wanna be with him. I wanna marry him. August is just an old flame. And it's not still burnin." I denied.

They looked at each other and then at me like 'yeah right!' But it's true. August is just an old flame.

"Don't look at me like that! Look I gotta go. I'll see y'all later."

At the office...

"Hey Larenz." I sighed.

"Hey Ms. James. Are you alright?" He asked.

"I'm ight. I guess. How's everything going with you?"

"Oh I'm all good. Couldn't be better. How's Jael doin with her treatment?"

"Jael she's doin just fine. I'm supposed to go by and see her today, actually."

"Well you tell her I said hi."

"I will." I smiled.

"That's little girl is getting bigger and bigger. And more beautiful by the day. Y'all mama gon have carry another gun now." He said.

I cocked an eyebrow. "Whatchu mean another?"

"Because I know she had to carry for one you."

I laughed. "Thanks Larenz."

"No problem." He smiled.

"Steph? D'taae is here." Madge said peeking in my office door.

"Oh okay. Great. Um send him in." I told her.

She nodded her head and left out.

"Well let me get outta here. I'll see ya' around Miss James." He saluted and walked out as D'taae came in.