Chapter Two

That night I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling. I glanced at my alarm. Twelve ‘O’clock. I groaned. Why couldn’t it have been morning already? Why couldn’t I forget about finding the body? Why couldn’t everything be normal? Why, why, why?

                I heard soft humming in the wind and was instantly out of bed. I would stare at the hummer until they got freaked out and stopped. Like I’d been doing since I’d gotten home from the forest earlier that day. It was only slightly entertaining, but when you can’t sleep, ‘slightly entertaining’ magically becomes ‘entertaining’. I looked out the window and saw no one. Only houses and the forest in the distance. I sighed, disappointed, and went back to bed. There would be no awkward staring. Only tossing and turning.

                Once I lay, I closed my eyes. But I would have no peace. As soon as they closed violins and flutes and humming filled me. I opened them and it was all gone. “Ugh!” I said in frustration. What had I done that result in the universe punishing me in this way? Nothing, that’s what. I’d been the perfect goody-goody all my life. Well, except for the times I took food without asking because I was hungry, but hey, didn’t everyone. I couldn’t have been the only one.

                Finally sick of it I went downstairs to watch some good ol’ fashioned TV and eat some good ol’ fashioned potato chips. The world’s greatest distractions. Hopefully. My brain was seriously churning. Luckily it did. I watched Doctor Who and ate lays until the sun came up and I didn’t think the entire time. Yay. But then everyone woke up.

                “What are you doing?” my fourteen year old brother, Jac, asked.

                “Watching Doctor Who and eating lays.” I said, keeping my irritation on the inside. I was so not in the mood for a questioning, but a questioning I knew I would get.

                “Why?” asked Jac.

                “Because I couldn’t sleep.” I answered, not looking away from my show, and still shoving lays in my mouth.

                “Can we have the TV?” asked Tyhe.

                “Sure.” I said. I laid down on the couch to get more comfy and snuggled into the blanket I had brought down with me. Ah, this was the life. The only thing it lacked was books, and I just wasn’t in the mood to go get them.

                I could feel the boys stare at me expectantly. I glanced at them. “Oh you meant this one? Well I meant the other one.” I said, not bothering to sugarcoat it. I knew I would feel guilty about it later, but later wasn’t now, and currently I was living in the now.

                “But we want to play Mariokart and we only have one Wii.” Tyhe protested. Jac said nothing.

                “Dude. You guys play on the Wii every day. You have to remember you don’t own this TV, so I have a right to watch here.” I said, a little, okay a lot, of the annoyance making an appearance in my voice.

                Tyhe gave me a dirty look and walked away, Jac trailing behind him. I sighed. Sometimes my brother could be a royal pain in the behind. I still loved him. Just like I loved my eight and six year old little sisters whom were currently running around screaming.

                “Little girls!” I said loudly to get their attention. Fail. “Little girls!” I said louder. They stopped.

                “What, Feight?” asked Kloe, confused. In her book, she was doing nothing wrong. She was the eight year old one.