Chapter Six

“St-stay away f-from me.” I stammered. Aedrean would be too late. He wouldn’t get here in time. I was toast. I could only hope I would randomly die before Jaims laid a hand on me. Then I realized I had a knife. I wasn’t into the idea of suicide, but it would’ve been better than what Jaims had in store for me. I didn’t know what it was, but I knew suicide would still be better. “Or I’ll k-kill my-myself.” I added. I positioned the knife over my heart.

                Jaims cocked his head. His smirk widened to a grin. “Do you really think killing yourself will stop me? I’ll just bring you back. You belong to me, and I won’t let you slip from my fingers. There is nothing you can do to stop me.” I could see him try to restrain a laugh. It was then that I knew how horribly insane he really was.

                “B-but you’re n-not a healer.” I pushed the knife very slightly deeper into my breast, confident he wouldn’t be able to bring me back and to show him I was serious. A small pain ignited where the knife lay, just barely not breaking skin.

                “Actually I am.” Jaims said dryly. “And even if I wasn’t this house is just full of healers. No humans living here.” He said with delight. “She being the closest.” He pointed to Evere whom had slept peacefully throughout this whole ordeal, which amazed me. Actually, if I thought about it, everyone was still sound asleep. How was that? We were definitely not very quiet.

                “What’s the matter with them? They should all be awake.” I whispered nervously. I had a strong feeling it was because of Jaims. And if he could make them fall asleep, what was stopping him from doing the same to me?

                “Now where are those boys, Naithyn and Aedrean I believe? They promised five minutes correct? Well I believe it’s been six.” Jaims said, rubbing his hands together in anticipation. His words confused me. Why did he care if Naithyn and Aedrean were here? Wouldn’t it be easier for him to just take me before they got here?

                “Why do you care?” I asked, forgetting my fear. The confusion had overrun it. “Wouldn’t it be easier to just take me now?”

                Jaims stared at me, and grinned from ear to ear. It made me feel the pressing need to escape. “I want him to know he’s lost.” He licked his lips. “Especially now because he won’t know what he’s lost until it’s gone forever.”

                “Who he? I don’t understand.” I said, trying to keep him talking. It was more to dull the fear than to stall until help came. Besides, Jaims was waiting for my help to come, so there really was no point to stall. We were going to wait whether I wanted to or not. There would be no getting it over with quickly. I couldn’t tell if it was a gift or a curse.

                Jaims gave me an exasperated look, but I could see the mischievous look that held residence in his eyes. “Now why would I tell you that when it would be so much more interesting if I let you find out yourself, hmm? I want to see the look on your face when you do and it just won’t be the same if I tell you.” A moment passed and he smirked. “Hello, Johnethin and Aedrean. You’re late. What took you so long? I was starting to assume that you weren’t coming. It would’ve been a shame if you weren’t here to witness the taking of my little lily here.” He gestured to me as my head swiveled in the direction of the door. Sure enough, there stood Naithyn and Aedrean. Their faces stony.

                “I’m not your ‘little lily’.” I said angrily. I belonged to no one. Especially not Jaims. Definitely not Jaims. I’d rather climb Mt. Everest and fall the whole way down. It was just the way of life. Or my life at least. “Where the heck did you get ‘lily’ out of me anyway?”