Chapter Four

"Eighth grade?"

My parents and I all stared in disbelief at the dean, mouths hanging wide open as we processed what he had just told us. 

"You want to put Eric in the eighth grade classes?" My father repeated, sitting forward. "But, he's…" He stared at me, at a loss for words. I couldn't blame him, I was just as surprised. I mean, I knew I had done good on the test a week ago, but not that good.

The dean nodded, smiling. "Your son retook the placement tests last week, and he excelled in every subject. We want to move him up a grade, seeing as his knowledge is already to that level."

"I'm still going to this school, right?" I asked, nervous. Would I even see my friends anymore? Would I see Hope?

"Yes, of course." The dean smiled warmly, leaning back in his chair. "You'll just be in eighth grade instead of seventh. Your locker and homeroom will remain the same, you’ll just be given an all-new schedule.” The dean went on to continue to explain this process and the other changes to my parents, who were both sitting in shock. They hadn’t even known I was retaking the test until the night after I did. As we left, they both congratulated me, and I went immediately to find Hope. I searched for her with my mind, found her in the library with our friends, and I burst in, nearly out of breath.

“They’re moving me up to eighth grade.”

Everyone turned to stare up at me, and Hope was the first one to speak. “What did you say?”

“Yeah!” I sighed happily, running my hand through my hair. “I guess I did so good on those placement tests that they’re moving me up a grade.”

“But you suck at everything!” Aaron argued, and our other friend, Evan, laughed. I stuck my tongue out at him, and Hope spoke again. 

“But…how?” She watched me carefully, then I saw her eyes widen slightly as she thought about it. Oh, Eric. She said in her head. Eric, that’s cheating! You weren’t supposed to do that good!

I stared back at her, gaze hard. Before I could respond, Chris asked, “So what does this mean? Like, you’re in eighth grade classes?”

I nodded, basically restating everything the dean told me. While I discussed this with my friends, Hope continued watching me with narrowed eyes. The anger was radiating out of her mind, along with jealousy. Why couldn’t she be happy for me just one time? I was finally doing good! Mom and Dad were so impressed with me! That hasn’t happened since third grade art class! She was sitting there, so smug in her new beanie. Our uncle had gotten her a flannel and beanie for our birthday and she loved them. I wish I could just rip that hat off of her jealous little head—

Mary and Evan gasped audibly as Hope’s hat flew backwards off of her head, smacking into the bookcase behind her. In silence, we all watched the hat wide-eyed, seeing if it’d move again.

“Is the school haunted?” Aaron whispered while the sounds from school echoed around us. Everyone looked to each other, mumbling rumors they’d heard of ghosts interacting with students, but Hope and I knew what had really happened. She turned to me, gray eyes sharp enough to cut diamond.

We’re having a thorough discussion as soon as we get home, Eric. 

I gulped, nodding slowly. How was that even possible? If I wasn’t careful, I’d end up on the X Files before I knew it.

 - - - - - 

“Eric! You’ve gotta be more careful!”

I sat on my bed, staring at my fingers and listening to Hope scream at me. Mom and Dad weren’t able to hear us, I checked.