Chapter Four

The next day, Moosekit woke up a little after sunrise. She ventured out of the nursery and found Goldenfur at the Fresh-Kill pile with Skyfeather, her mate. Moosekit was going to join them but decided not to so she decided to go find Blackpaw. She bounced over to the apprentices den just as Ravenpaw was exiting. "Hey, Moosekit!" He greeted her. "Hi!" She squeaked. "Want to play?" She asked. Ravenpaw looked around. "Sure." He smiled. "Hide and Seek?" He suggested. "Sure." She bounced on her paws. "You can hide first," he said, closing his eyes. She raced off to her favourite hiding spot. After a little bit of seeking, Ravenpaw jumped down into her hiding spot. "Found you!" He meows loudly and cheerfully. Startled, Moosekit squeaked in surprise. "Took you long enough!" She teased. "Go hide!" She closed her eyes and listened to him run away. She looked in every possible hiding spot in the camp and didn't find him. She pouted and sat down, thinking of where he might be. Suddenly, he appeared. "There are trees, you know." He laughed. She jumped and spun around to face him, fur all bushed out. She hissed in annoyance. "Fine, you win!" She bat him on the ear playfully.

"Ravenpaw?!" Skyfeather called. Ravenpaw looked towards his mentor's voice. "I should go," he meowed kind of sadly and padded away. Moosekit shrugged, bored since both apprentices were out of camp and she was the only kit in camp. For now, anyways, since Goldenfur's kits should be born any day now. She walked to the Fresh-Kill pile and grabbed a mouse and pulled it away to eat it. She looked up when she saw Stormfeather rushing towards the nursery with herbs, dropping the mouse. Moosekit perked her ears up and Skyfeather ran over and tried to enter but Stormfeather told him no. He hissed but obeyed and started pacing outside the nursery. Moosekit finished her mouse but stayed where she was, watching what was happening.

A few minutes later, Stormfeather came out of the nursery and let Skyfeather in to see Goldenfur. He told everyone that Goldenfur just gave birth to her kits while a few other cats came to gather around when Skyfeather came back out. "Two toms and a she-cat," Skyfeather said proudly. Moosekit tilted her head. 'New kits!' She cheered to herself. Silverstar gave a small meow and the cars parted and let her through. "Don't crowd the nursery. You'll meet their kits later." She flicked her tail and the cats departed. She looked back at Skyfeather. "Congratulations," she dipped her head to the newly-made father. "Thank you, Silverstar," Skyfeather replied calmly buy happily and made his way back to Goldenfur so they could choose names for their little ones.

The camp entrance rustled and Moosekit looked up to see Blackpaw and Midnightstorm entering. She watched as they separated and then ran over to Blackpaw. "Hey, Blackpaw!" She called as she skidded to a halt in front of the startled apprentice. Blackpaw opened his mouth to speak and greet her back but she started talking again before he had the chance. "What happened at the Gathering?" She asked quickly. Blackpaw tilted his head, amused for no reason and he answered. "Nothing. If the cat who attacked you was there, he surely didn't show it. I didn't smell anything similar to what was on Berryfeather either so he probably wasn't there at all." He shrugged. Moosekit tilted her head. "Oh. It would make sense... His leader would make him stay back so we wouldn't pick up his scent. Hm." She looked away. "Yeah," he replied, licking his paw. "If you'll excuse me, I had a hard day of Battle Training and I'd like to eat," he said, voice full of amusement. "I'll join you," she suggested, and since he didn't know about Goldenfur's kits, she decided that she'd tell him. "Okay," he agreed and started walking to the Fresh-Kill pile with Moosekit following close behind.

"Goldenfur had her kits today, huh?" Blackpaw asked after Moosekit explained what had happened while he had been gone, mouth full of squirrel. "Have they been named yet?" He asked after swallowing. "No. At least I don't think so. Skyfeather's been in the nursery since Stormfeather let him, so I'm assuming they're still deciding unless he just wants to be with Goldenfur," Moosekit answered, looking around the camp at the other cats who were all at work.

By the time night fell, Skyfeather had appeared from the nursery finally and he told everyone that the names of his kits were Icekit, Bluekit, and Crowkit. Everyone agreed and commented on the names, saying he had chosen the perfect ones. He had left Goldenfur to go back to the Warriors den and sleep, just like all the other cats were doing. Moosekit walked into the nursery and circled in the nest once before laying down with a giant yawn then curling into a ball and falling asleep quickly. Featherheart soon joined her kit and the new night guard took her place at the centre of the camp as the leader got into her den for the night as well.