Love Never Did Run Smooth

CHAPTER 2

During English, my mind was elsewhere. Amongst my daydream I was snapped back into the harsh reality that I so wanted to escape from. 

"Miss Meyer, what did I just quote?" Mrs Havens hated me at the best of times, she had no sympathy for me or Frank after the news of our parents death circled around school, she's pretty emotionless not just to me and my family, but just in general.

"I -uhmm ..well -" I stumbled on my words, but was interrupted by a voice from across the room.

"The course of true love never did run smooth. To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man. Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind." 

A mysterious looked boy, jet black styled hair, piercing burnt orange eyes with a soft complexion. I hadn't seen him before, but he looked at me knowingly, as if we had met previously. I smiled at him and mouthed 'Thank you' and he simply smiled back and looked forward towards Mrs Haven who was silenced in awe, and continued the lesson as if nothing had happened. 

For the rest of English I was distracted not with thoughts of Calvin, but with the mystery that came with this boy who saved me from being humiliated in front of everyone. Who was he? Where did he come from? I was way too shy to go ask him myself, so I would have to do some digging and ask around. With that the bell rung, the hell of my first lesson back had ended and I was so relieved. I started to get up and gather my things, I bent down to pack my bag and spilled the whole contents of my pencil case onto the ground.

"Crap" I muttered to myself, not expecting a reply.

"Here, let me help you" I looked up from the ground to see the mysterious boy with the gorgeous burnt orange eyes offering me hand.

"Thanks, I'm so clumsy and forgetful..today really isn't my day. Thank you for your help earlier as well, it's my first day back and my mind is all over the place. I really appreciate it."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I have a passion for William Shakespeare, a bit of a nerd when it comes to English and Historical figures."

I stood there nervously, not really knowing what to say so I just smiled. I seem to do that a lot when I get nervous. 

"So, I'm Kai by the way. I guess I didn't really introduce myself, I just seemed to keep talking, sorry about that."

"I'm - "

"...you're Luna. I know. I've heard a lot about you,"

"So Kai, we've got a 35 minute break before our next lesson, did you want to go grab a coffee or something? I can sense a new student vibe from you, and I'd love to show you around or answer any questions you might have. Or I don't know, you don't have to, you can say no if you - " 

"I'd love that Luna Meyer. After you."

 I don't know what compelled me to say that, I don't know where my courage came from but I had a burning desire to know him.  So with that we walked out of the English department laughing as he told me all these crazy stories about these historical figures that he knew so much about. I was so drawn to him that I didn't even notice I had passed Gorgie.

"Well look at you, get in there girl." Gorgie looked on as she watched Luna and Kai walk towards the canteen.

"Who's that punk?" Calvin approached Gorgie with questions filled with jealousy and anger.

"That's Kai."

"Kai who? I haven't seen him around before." Calvin spat his words out like poison

"No need to be like that Cal, she ended things with you..need to let it go buddy. Anyway, his name is Kai Gonzalo, he transferred last week. I'm surprised you missed him, he seems to be the talk of the town." Gorgie walked towards the canteen and left Calvin watching on.

"Gonzalo.."

----