Chapter 2: Dogs and Boys

Azteca was watching Romero playfight with Dior and Hessa in a damp clearing. Romero had been right, it had rained early in the morning and the entire jungle was dripping with dew and water. Azteca flicked her tail irritably as a few raindrops splashed onto her from the leaves above.

She purred to herself as Dior and Hessa barreled into Romero's side, knocking him over. He retaliated by headbutting Hessa on the shoulder and swept Dior off her feet with his tail.

''Ha!'' He bounded over to Azteca and puffed out his chest. ''No one can beat the best fighter in the Tribe.''

Azteca rolled her eyes. Boys!They always go around thinking they're the best.

She got up and flicked his nose with her tail. ''Ok you furball. We get it. Although I thought hunting is supposed to be your speciality, not fighting.''

''Yeah well what can I say? '' he smiled, showing his sharp teeth. ''I take pride in being the best at two major skills!''

Azteca's whiskers fluttered as she sighed heavily. '' For the last time, you're not the best fighter. But you are the most fur-brained jaguar in this jungle. ''

Romero's ears and tail drooped. A pang of guilt shot though her. She hadn't meant to be so harsh. ''Romero, why don't you try battle training with me?'' she asked trying to inject a note of apology into her voice.

''Sure,'' He turned and stalked back to the middle of the clearing.

Azteca silently berated herself. Stop insulting all the jaguars who work their tail off for the Tribe. Especially Romero.

She tried not to stare at the at the way his muscles rippled under his golden coat and his round, white-tipped ears swiveled around, taking in every sound. Not to mention that he had a fantastic jawline.

''Are we gonna do this or not?'' He smirked as if reading her thoughts.

Her fur flushed hot with embarrassment. Nodding, she quickly stood in front of him and crouched low, trying to anticipate his first move. Romero got down too and the two jaguars slowly started circling each other.

Azteca kept her gaze fixed on his paws and avoided his startling orange eyes. She knew his eyes sometimes got lighter when he was pleased and they would even get a green tinge if he laughed a lot. She knew he always slept on his stomach with his head resting on his folded paws. And that he never ate in the morning without catching something to give to the Tribe first. And that most of the juvies liked him because he was always calm and rational. And she knew that he climbed lots of trees and lifted heavy boulders on his shoulders to build muscle and stay lean. She knew- Ooof!!!

All the breath was knocked out of her body as Romero threw himself at her and knocked her aside. She lay spread-eagled on the jungle floor, gasping for breath whilst Romero sat down on his haunches.

''I thought you were supposed to be really good at fighting.'' he teased. Growling Azteca got to her feet. She was supposed to be concentrating on the fight! Not on what his workout routines were.

She gave herself a quick shake before focusing back on Romero. This time, she made the first move. Whipping her tail out to the side quickly, she successfully distracted him as his eyes followed its movement instead of focusing on her. Quicker than a bird, her paw lashed out and clouted the side of his face. The force snapped his head to one side. Had her claws been unsheathed, he would have lost an eye.

Romero hissed before slamming his own paw up into her jaw. Azteca dodged out of the way but was too late. She opened her mouth and snarled, testing her jaw for signs of injury. But he hadn't hit her that hard. However, she didn't have time to dwell on it. Romero was already making his next attack. He charged at her, keeping his head down to avoid her swiping paws and rammed into her chest. Again the breath was knocked out of her. But this time she didn't go down.