O N E

Girls love girls and boys
And never did I think that I
Would be caught in the way you got me
But girls love girls and boys
And love is not a choice

p!atd; girls/girls/boys

[unedited]

*****

River had to sit next to a Slytherin boy who was drawing a pair boobs on a piece of parchment that looked like someone blew their nose in. Although it was her fault, she did choose to come late to class. But it was going to be worth it. River had told McGonagall that she got lost in the corridors, which was easy to believe as she always got lost in the corridors. She doesn't understand how someone can easily make their way through a school this huge.

Zola Green sent her friend a sympathetic look, while Ben Altwood just smirked. River, being the mature girl she was, simply stuck her tongue out when McGonagall turned her back.

The brunette didn't know how people did this subject easily. When did anyone super successful in the Wizarding World say they achieved their goals by turning a Teapot into a Tortoise? Never. So obviously, it wasn't that important in life. By the time the class was finished, her teapot only had a Tortoise shell. 

River suddenly had a mood change, as she was heading to Potions with the Gryffindors, which means she will be there. River knew they were still pretty young, but something about that girl made her giddy inside. And people give flowers to people who make them happy, right? River only told few people about her little crush on Hermione. People who she knew she could trust not to tell, people she knew wouldn't judge her.

She sat down next to Neville Longbottom, she didn't understand why not many people sat next to him. He was sweet. But she could practically see Professor Snape grimace, his two absolute worst students had to sit next to each other, other students could already see things blowing up.

Those students obviously are good at Divination, as they were heading to the Infirminary covered in huge, red boils. Only few weren't laughing, Hermione included. She actually asked if they were okay. River then smiled to herself. Another thing she liked about Hermione, she was nice, and caring.

"Why are you smiling?" Neville asked, derailing her train of thought. She quickly got rid of it. "No reason." She said.

By the time they were out of the Infirminary, it was already Lunch, which River was one hundred percent okay with. The Gryffindor and Hufflepuff parted to their tables, Neville with his friends and River at the end of her table. It's not that people didn't like her, in fact plenty of people in her house tried to make an effort to converse with her. It's just that she didn't like people. She much prefered animals, which is why she was excited for tomorrow morning, her first lesson of Care of Magical Creatures taught by Hagrid, who she visited now and then. He didn't get enough visits from people, besides the infamous Golden Trio.

After River finished eating, she turned around her seat to face Ben at the Slytherin table. Mani Hufflepuffs and Slytherins didn't approve of their friendship, but they didn't care. Ben was a nice Slytherin, and had introduced her to other nice Slytherins. Like Daphne and Astoria Greengrass.

River glanced over at the Gryffindor table, a smile widening on her face. Hermione had a confused yet happy look on her face, and was holding a white rose in her hand. 

River's white rose.

"Did you give that to her?" Ben asked grinning, also looking at Hermione.

River turned pink and practically snapped her neck turning over to face him. "Who told you-" "No one. I've been friends with you for three years now. You think I can't notice when you like someone?"

River sighed. "I was going to tell you-" Ben cut her off with a laugh. "You don't have to apologize." 

This time River sighed in relief. That day, River vowed that everyday she would send Hermione a flower. How long was it going to last, she didn't know. She didn't care.

As long as until Hermione knew.

*****

Hermione sat down in her usual spot at the Gryffindor table. Only to find that not only were a plate and goblet were there, but a rose. A single, white, rose. There was no note, card, or name. Just a rose.

Hermione looked around to see if anyone was smiling at her or giving her subtle hints.

Soon the Great Hall filled with more and more people. Any of those people could have sent the rose. 

Anyone.

Ron sat down across from her. He furrowed his eyebrows. "Who sent you that?" Hermione let out a breath. "I don't know." She then frowned, still playing with it. "Probably some guy. It probably wasn't even meant for me. Might be for Romilda or something." She said, putting it in her bag. She decided to keep it anyways, even if it wasn't for her.

Even the brightest witch of her age didn't know some things.

Hermione didn't know that there was a girl with Chocolate brown eyes at the Hufflepuff table, watching her with adoration.

Hermione didn't know that the rose was meant for her.

Hermione didn't know that it certainly wasn't a guy who sent that rose for her.

*****

Wow Hermione open your eyes.

RIVER AND BEN ARE BROTP

don't you dare say river is too young to like someone because eleven - thirteen is where I *think* people start liking each other, because they are going into teenage years. 

I'm really enjoying writing this and Heathens and please note I will not have any more fanfictions out until I'm at least half-way done with one of them.