New York Times

I was twenty one in Texas at the time. Never expected that one day I would be able to move to New York to work for the New York Times, but the offer came; I jumped on it. I had very little friends. Samuel Morgan my best friend who, like me, stayed in Texas for college and the rest of my "friends" who I had seen so many times in the 3 years after everyone left for their adult lives I could count them on one hand.

Being how I was in the past I was a very independent person: paid my own house bill, phone bill, car bill, and even paid for my own groceries and clothes. I had a good paying job at the local places like the ice cream shop and the computer repair stores.

I always had hard days with school and work but I got through it thinking about my future.

I had no boy friend; never planed on it neither. I had no intuitions of risking my heart to someone. Hearts were breakable-fragile even-such as a glass sculpture. A heart never broke evenly and would never repair its self.

The news came and I kept it as a secret for the longest time.They said they would give me some time; so I took advantage of that. Any time I would come across a placid conversation I thought about throwing it in to add some energy to it but when I had chances I felt like a pumpkin. All of my feelings raked out-including my gut. I was fearful- wouldn't they be happy? I wondered and wondered until two days before the email was due. That day I told the one person I knew would take it well- Sam.

"Hey Sam- you busy?" I asked on my cell.

"When am I ever."

"Can you meet me for dinner tomorrow night-at the usual?" I ask trying to keep my tone neutral.

"Okay so Cafe java J's-7:56o'clock-" he read off as I could hear the click of his keyboard " if your late order you a hot water with lemon and a hot chocolate with bacon extracted flavor-"

"If your late-" I said smirking" hot white chocolate coffee with peppermint extract and a caramel bacon apple pecan pie." that's the thing between us we were both crazy food people.

Sam (unlike me) had a girl friend, Anna Smith. She hated me and I loathed her. Sam knew not to bring Annie around me or I would start singing the broadway show Annie at the top of my lungs-it happened once. After that he never did it again. Anna hated me since we met she was a popular I was a nerd complete opposites and we never attracted. I jumped in bed hoping that telling Sam would be the right thing to do and that he would be happy for me.