Chapter 3: Hearts and Needles

It has been a very uncomfortable sleep; I think I just had another bad dream, or a nightmare of some sort. I wish this really stops because I literally – wait – what time is it? Really? Same time as yesterday?! Well, that was a coincidence. I guess I will see Mae again, but I don't really think I feel like going out today...

Maybe? Ughhh, alright maybe I can go out? I got up, stretched a little bit and finally got my towel to get a quick rain.

While relaxing with the gentle taps of the shower, I remembered about the letter I kept yesterday; it's just very unusual because first, I haven't received anything from anyone – which is just a little depressing; but now that I have a letter from an actual person, then second, why does she want me to keep it? I really want to read that letter, but I can't, I need to follow instructions and the instructions were clear; do not open it.

After that warm shower, I finally dressed up with a warm fuzzy coat and a white fedora just to finish the look. I also suited up underneath so just in-case I get late again, I will be prepared to go to work immediately! And – oh! I forgot my briefcase, just in case again...

I got out of the door and down the stairs to the main door, which still doesn't have any decoration whatsoever; other than a fern, a rose and a plastic bottle.

I got outside and felt the cold breeze just like last time, and even if I already felt it yesterday, it feels like I just had this the first time when I was a kid. I started walking on the sidewalk, seeing the zooming cars on the highway and black windows from the dead lights of the work buildings; I see some people working on their 24/7 jobs and restaurants starting to open their doors.

There it is! The bench that I saw Mae, and low and behold: she's already there, reading a book with her brown scarf. I should have worn my brown scarf so it will be a coincidence of some sort!

"Mae?" I touched her shoulder and...

"Huh?"

It wasn't her!

"Oh sorry!" I am genuinely embarrassed right now. But she looks just like her! Well, I think I should have noticed the glasses but really!?

"Umm, okay?"

"Can I take a seat?" She nodded. I sat down beside her and started waiting. I have my phone with me and she said she's on her way, so I guess it will be a good five to ten minutes before she gets here. I started playing some ga – oh wait, I don't have games in my phone; Ughhh, I have nothing to do right now!

I then started to glance at the girl next to me, and she seems pretty busy right now with her phone and I guess she doesn't want me to get in her business. She glanced at me quickly and started using her phone again. I stared down to the cold gray concrete and just sighed from boredom.

"Expecting someone?" She asked, "Yes! I actually thought it was you that I was waiting for!" I said jokingly, she slightly giggled.

"I'm still very sorry..."

"No need, I wasn't really busy. I just want to be outside more often..." She stopped, kept her phone in her pocket and stared at the busy highways. I copied her action and just stared into the traffic myself; She started looking at me and I looked back at her deep blue eyes covered by the thin glasses she's wearing. She smiled and looked away to work on her phone – I snapped back to reality and started working with my own business too.

~ ♥ ~

"Hello?" I felt someone tap my shoulder.

"Mae! Finally you're here!"