10 - Feelings

"We can only be who we are, no more, no less."

10

My jaws drop.

Okay. I need a serious head check-up. My brain needs reprogramming if not a total overhaul. I try to recall the Head Judge's face without the scowl on it.

The thick white brows, the puffy tuff of hair. the thin pointed nose. . .

Mental facepalm.

I can't believe I didn't recognize Gregori Haelsmeberger! Known as the Maestro, his face has to be plastered in every single major music hall in the world. I even have one of his best-selling books, Harmonia Grande.

"Heh," Johannes smirks. His brown eyes watch me with amusement. "Better close your pretty little mouth lest a fly fly in -- hey, that rhymed!"

And then he is shaking my shoulders. I look up. His lips are moving but no sound is coming out. The waitress comes over and hands him a big glass of ice water. He pushes it to my hands and lifts the glass to my lips.

Suddenly, I am thirsty.

He resumes his seat, shaking his head. "Weird woman. I think looking after you will be nothing short of interesting."

The shock wears off, only to be replaced by anxiety.

"I am not weird!" I scream, and a number of early cafe goers stare at us. I ignore them. "This is the Maestro we're talking about. I can't believe I showed him that kind of performance. I was so nervous! And, and, ugh!" Stage fright, in front of Maestro, of The Maestro. . . ground, please swallow me whole.

His hand twitches, like he wants to hit me in the head or something. "Did you even understand everything I said? I liked your performance. He liked your performance! Why do you look so embarassed?"

"But, I messed up --"

"You - you woman!" He looks frustrated, and his face is so red he looks like he just ate Mexican burritos with plenty of jalapeno. "Is there a glitch in your brain? How many times do I have to assure you? You have some self esteem problems. Is that why you don't date?"

I gape at him as he continued.

"Be my woman, and I'm telling you, there will be no chance that I will look at another girl like I do to you."

Am i supposed to be flattered? Wait, wait, wait, what are we even talking about right now? My music or my love life? Because seriously, he is freaking me out. All I want to do at this very moment is run away and go back to my cozy classroom. Most geniuses have loose screws anyway. I guess Johannes is no exception.

I push the rest of my water to him. "You're red. Calm down."

He chugs at it like his life depended on it. And then he grins. He's bipolar, I'm absolutely positive now. "Nice. A kiss on the first date. Indirect yeah, but you know what I mean."

He is referring to the mark my lips left on the cold glass.

I. . . I think this is enough for the day.

I put two dollars on the table and glare at him before he can even react. "Thank you for the time, Mr. Haelsmeberger." I jot down my cellphone number on the table napkin and give it to him with a professional handshake. "It's nice meeting you. Kindly message me when and where I'll be auditioning for your grandfather."

He wistfully stares at my hand before he lets go.

"I made you hate me, didn't I?"

"Hate is a strong passion word. I prefer the word dislike," I say stiffly.