On My Own-kinda

Oh shit!

"I'm so sorry sir, I was just hungry and i don't have the money in my pocket right now. Once i get a quarter i'll come back and give it to him," i push.

"Don't worry about it, I'm not going to take you to jail. So how old are you," he asks sweetly right after he's done laughing at me.

"I'm 15."

"Wow, where are your parents," he asks.

"That's actually a good question," i say as i look down at the ground.

"Well my name's Officer Nickels, but for you, you can call me Joey," he says as a big smile crosses his face. 

Looking at his smile makes me notice he looks really young to be a cop. I couldn't help it, i asked, "How old are you?"

"I'm 19. I was advanced in school. I was home schooled, graduated early and went into training to become a cop. I finished my training in half the time as all the others," he says. Then a look crosses his face that looks almost like disappointment.

"What's wrong? You look sad, and you should be happy because that's freakin awesome if you ask me," i ask, finding myself actually concerned. 

"I was just always picked on for being so smart. Everyone called me a freak, and a know it all, you know all that hurtful stuff. I've never told anyone what i just told you. I usually keep it to myself to prevent further issues."

"So, why did you look so sad after you told me?"

"No, i wasn't sad. I'm confused, There's something about you that makes me trust, i opened up to you. I told you i've never told anyone that and Ive known you for about 5 minutes. I'm...confused."

Uh oh, this dudes getting weird on me. "Well it was nice to have met you Officer N--uh, i mean Joey," I say as i turn to walk away.

He grabs my arm and swings me back around with an upset look on his face he says, "I just told you i trusted you and opened up to you and your just going to walk away? Wow, your a strange one. Come eat dinner with me, and tell me why your alone."

~~~~~~~~~

We sat in the back booth of a little restaurant.  I was so happy because he bought me my favorite kind of food. Chicken tenders, french fries, honey mustard and a nice cold coke on the side. Maybe he wasnt so bad after all, but he is still a cop. "So, start explaining. Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself or anything. Also, don't be scared, anything you say wont get you in trouble. I'm not one of THOSE cops. I'm cool," he says sweetly. So i explain about my family, keeping the part about Megan to myself, and then about how i had ran away. I told him i was staying in an old ratty abandoned house in Wood-bridge Court right outside of town. He sat there and listened the whole time. Not once did he interrupt me with questions or give me wondering glares. He just...listened. No one has ever listened to me before. I always got cut off or something.

"They haven't came looking for you yet," he asks.

"If they were able to lie to me my entire life, i suppose my disappearance is nothing to them. Plus, they'd never find me anyways. I cant tell you how, i'll never be able to tell you how. There's just somethings i cant tell you," i say.

"I understand, and i wont ask you to. Listen, I live on my own in my apartment. You can come stay with me. I have TV and food and a nice place for you to sleep. I'll even go by the grocery store pick up some chicken, some fries and a case of cokes," he laughs.

Hmm...I don't know this guy very well. Ah hell why not? He's been so nice to me so far. He didn't throw me in jail for stealing, even if it was just an apple. He brought me in off the streets and bought my favorite dinner. He listened to my story and didn't press me to tell him things i didn't want to. I'm going.