Chapter One

"Dad! Miko! I'm home!" I called out as I closed the front door behind me.

My dad ran into the room and gave me a hug. "Hey, pumpkin! How was school?"

I shrugged. "As good as school can get."

My dad laughed. "I'll assume that's good. You got homework?"

"Yeah. Shouldn't take too long." I said.

"Alright, get on it!" My dad patted my shoulder and returned to his computer to work.

I walked up the stairs and stopped midway when a thought struck me. "Hey?"

He looked up at me. "Yeah?"

"Where's Miko?" I asked, noticing my brother was gone.

"Miko? Oh yeah, he had a volleyball game today."

"Oh, ok. Thanks." I said.

I walked up to my room and sat down at my desk. The large poster on my wall made me think of Sword Art Online. It was coming out in two days, and I was so excited. I really wanted it, but I knew we couldn't afford it. We aren't poor, but we always have to be careful with money, because dad is the only source of income. Miko's been looking for work ever since he turned sixteen, but he wants to stay in school.

Maybe I should tell you a bit about myself. I'm Anika Tui. I'm fourteen. Miko is my older brother. He's sixteen. I live with him and my dad. My mom ran off when I was only a baby, so I don't know her. I don't miss her, though. We don't talk about her much.

I've always been good with computers and electronics. Whenever the Internet is broken, I fix it. I've actually done some minor hacking. Just for fun, though. Nothing big that would get me in trouble. I'm on the swim team and the chess club. I get good grades in school. There isn't much else to know about me.

I look pretty normal. I've got green eyes, light skin, and long "strawberry-blond hair." That's what my friends call it. It's just blond, but they insist there's a "hint of orange." I look like your average fourteen-year old, really. If you can count being too average as a unique characteristic, then I guess I'm unique.

My best friend is Dawn Yuna. We've known each other since we were four. She's really nice and sweet, and her mom is super great. She's like my second mom. Dawn's family is in a better financial situation than us, and she's getting Sword Art Online. She's just as excited as me. Dawn promised me that I could make an account on her NerveGear and play sometimes. I know that I would use a sword, but maybe some sort of throwing knife too. I've already drawn out my character and her gear. I can't wait. It would've been so amazing to be a beta-tester.

I finished my homework and walked downstairs, where my dad was still working. I went to grab a snack and thought about my classes next week.

__________________________________________________

That was the first chapter, just to introduce the characters and stuff. Sword Art Online will start soon!