Chapter Nine

December 2nd, 2022.

A month.

A month has passed while we've been stuck in this game. And we haven't even cleared the first floor. No one has found the boss room. 2000 people have died. Now there's 8000 in the game. More die by the day. People are already adjusting to being here. I don't understand how. I miss my family and my friends. I want to go home. I'll never adapt to this place.

Me and Dawn have been fighting in the fields all around the first floor, but the enemies there got too easy. So we started fighting in the dungeon. We're considered middle to high-level players. I've been dabbling in alchemy, and Dawn is learning how to fish, garden, and cook.

There's a meeting being held in Tolbana today on how to defeat the boss. Dawn read it in the newspaper. We were in another town, so we had to run to Tolbana to get to the meeting. As usual, we slept in an inn last night.

I yawned and sat up. "Morning, Dawn."

Dawn looked over. "Morning."

"Any news today?" I asked her as I got dressed.

"No. Just some reviews of hunting an-Oh!" Dawn exclaimed. She stood up quickly.

I whipped around, my head stuck midway in my shirt. "What?"

She jumped up, poked the newspaper, and shouted, "Look! Look!"

She shoved the newspaper at me. I pulled my hair out of my shirt and grabbed the paper.

Meeting in Tolbana on first floor boss.

The paper gave other details, but I was done reading. "A meeting on the first floor boss, huh? It could just be some useless information," I mused.

"That's true, but it's the first news we've gotten for a long time. It couldn't hurt to check it out. Besides, we were going back to Tolbana anyways," Dawn nodded seriously.

"Yeah. Do we have everything?" I asked, looking around our room.

"Yeah. We'll have to hurry to make it. We can eat something on our way there. We've got some bread from last week," Dawn said as she opened the inn door.

"Ugh, if only we had teleport crystals," I mumbled as we ran out of the inn.

"Don't worry. We'll make it. Besides, we only need 300 more Col until we can get some," Dawn told me as we ran out of the town and onto the road. Dust flew behind us as we sprinted through the woods. I heard a rustling to my side as we ran.

Dawn looked over at the noise and stopped running suddenly. Her eyes widened. "Kila, watch out!" She screamed.

I skid to a stop and turned around just as a huge monster swiped at me. I fell back at Dawn's feet. She grabbed me under my armpits and dragged me back away from the monster, where I stood up and drew out my sword.

"Dawn, shoot at him from that tree," I told her, pointing to a nearby tree. "I'll get him."

I trusted Dawn. She had developed stellar aim during our month in the game. Our strategy was for me to fight with a sword while she shot from far away, but Dawn had a sword as well just in case.

Arrows whizzed past me as I clashed with the monster. As I held up my sword to block, I yelled to Dawn, "What level monster is it?"

"Let me see! It's higher than us! It's a-" Dawn stopped suddenly.

I yelled, impatient, and stabbed the monster hard in the belly. "What, Dawn?" I shouted to Dawn.

"S-sorry! I was lagging. It's a level twenty! If you get this guy, you'll get a ton of rewards!" Dawn exclaimed and shot two arrows.