A

CA

I woke up and noticed that for 1 it was 8 a.m., 2 my mom came back, 3 the kid cartoons were on (bummer),  4 apparently I can't have a blue popsicle for breakfast (double bummer), and 5 they changed my IV and I am already hooked back up to my Chemo machine (triple bummer). 

I lifted up the lid to my food tray. Eggs, bacon, a pancake, and an assortment of juices.

"Bummer." I said. It was such a boring breakfast other than the six or seven juices on my table. Apple (standard), orange (basic), grape (disgusting), cherry (might be good), pineapple (questionable), blueberry (ooh...), and strawberry (mmm). I see a stack of cups off to the side. I could mix the cherry, blueberry, and strawberry. I want sparkling water though. Maybe I can make a sort of soda out of one of them.

"Mom." I said.

"Hm?"

"Can you pretty please go to the convenience store down the street and get me a sparkling water?"

"Why do you need a sparkling water?"

"My juices are boring, I have cups, and I wanna mix stuff."

"How about I check the cafeteria first and I'll text you if I have to go to the store?"

"Okay. Hurry up though, I'm thirsty."

"Then drink one while I'm gone."

"No. These juices are too basic. That's why I need the sparkling water."

"Whatever." She sighed.

I scanned the list of channels looking for Comedy Central or something. I found it and lucky lucky me, South Park was on!

It had been about 5 minutes and South Park went off. My phone dinged.

Mom:  No sparkling here. I'm going to the convinience store. Eden is supposed to come soon so if she's there before me tell her I said hi.

Me:  Okay

I saw the ukulele and started to play it while I ate. Don't ask how. It was more like a bite, chord, bite bite, chord chord, bite, chord, and so on. Then I finished and decided to play a song.

In the middle of my song, Eden walked in.

"Oh, uh sorry. It was just there and South Park went off and I couldn't resist. I bet you want it back."

"No, no its fine. You keep it. You play better than I ever would."

"Eden, I can't take your--

" I. Said. Keep. It."

"Uhg. You are so stubborn. Fine."

"Where's your mom?"

"She went to get me sparkling water. She said hi by the way."

"Oh okay. Why sparkling? "

"My juices are boring and I have a slight craving for like soda. But all they gave me was juice."

"Ohh...okay." My mom walked in and handed me my water.

"Hey Eden! How are you?"

"Good and you?"

"Peachy!"

"Awesome!"

I opened my sparkling and went to work. I pulled out 3 cups. I filled each of them to the 3rd line from the bottom with the water and the rest with juice. Blueberry, strawberry, and cherry. I took a sip from each cup.

"MMM! THIS IS BETTER THAN I EXPECTED! BOTH OF YOU TRY IT!" They tried it and agreed that it was good.

"I should be an underage bartender."

"That's illegal." Mom and Eden said and the same time.

"Jinks!" Eden said! "You owe me a coke!"

My mom pulled out a 5 dollar bill. There's a vending machine in the cafeteria. I expect change back." I laughed. "You treat her exactly as if she were your own!" "She kinda is. She stays over enough!" We all laughed. Eden went to go get her coke.

•••

My mom left again. My request. I just don't feel like it's exactly healthy for her to stay in a place that smells like sterilizer and sadness. My nurse came in again and  hooked me up. "Can I get you anything, love? " "Blue popsicle again?" She nodded and got my popsicle. "Thank you!" I cut my cartoons on and before you know it, my popsicle was gone and I was asleep.