Chapter Thirteen

The rogue girl was leaning against the wall opposite of us and I noticed that her face and clothes were caked in dirt. Even the knife seemed to have rust on it. I didn't expect all rogues to seem so dirty but through all the mud and dirt in the woods I could see where they would get so dirty. I knew from experience that some rogues were clean and took better care of themselves

          This girl was twirling the knife around between her fingers. "Oops, didn't mean to do that," she continued.

          "You're not getting her," Connor said, getting to the point.

          "I would guess not, Prince Connor, but would you rather we tell your parents about your relationship with the human?" The rogue asked.

          Connor's face stayed perfectly still and he still spoke in his calm, quiet voice that was almost scary, "that doesn't mean anything to me, my parents don't care what I do with my life until the day of my wedding," Connor said.

          "Oh? Then why don't I just take the human girl off your hands now?" The rogue girl asked.

          "You'd have to go through my dead body," Connor said, bored.

           "Oh really? I'd hate to kill the Prince of the Northern 'kingdom," she said.

          "Then I suggest you leave the way you came," Connor said, gesturing towards the window.

          "Not until I do what I came for," the girl said and then threw the knife.

          The knife was coming for me as fast as a dart. I didn't even have enough time to move. Then Connor's hand shot out and caught the knife between two fingers, seconds before hitting me. I let out a breath I was holding as Connor brought the knife up to his face to inspect it.

          The rogue looked furious but that didn't stop Connor, "now, what is a rogue vampire like yourself doing trying to poison a human girl instead of ripping into her like your vampire nature?" Connor asked, his long black coat hitting the back of his knee as he tucked the knife away into one of its pockets.

          "How'd you know it was poisoned? Vampires can't track that poison," the rogue said.

          "I smelled it because I can track it," Connor said, his eyes now glowing crimson red. Then his fangs shot down to his bottom lip and he gave the rogue a murderous grin. The rogue girl looked frightened and started shaking with fear as Connor shot forward, sinking his fangs into her neck and then with a couple shakes of his head he snatched back and black blood flowed from her neck.

          Connor turned around, his eyes still glowing a dark, blood red with his fangs piercing his bottom lip. The rogues black blood smeared across his face and running down his neck. A shiver ran down my spine then as the cruel and murderous part of Connor shone through his normal, caring, self. Connors eyes stopped glowing then and his fangs retracted.

           "I'm sorry I didn't see her coming before she was already here," he said.

           "No, it's my fault," I said shakily.

          "Don't be scared, Lex, this is what we have to do to protect you," Connor reminded me and then he used vampire speed to disappear.

          Connor reappeared a few seconds later, missing the long black coat and the blood. He sat back beside me on my bed. I looked up at him for a few seconds while he looked down at me.

          "I'm sorry you have to go through this because of Hayden and I," Connor said, absently brushing a piece of my hair behind my ear.