Prologue

“Grandma, would you please tell me a bedtime story?” I asked my grandma while she stroked my black hair using her very loving hands.

“Please tell me the story you told me yesterday,” I smiled. My grandmother stifled a smile, a smile which completely defiles her age. She looked almost twenty years younger with it actually. It was the very smile that makes me so comfortable with her around, the one that makes my heart light and full of vigorous energy.

“My dear, I have told you the same story for almost every night for the past seven years after a year you were born. Do you still want to hear it from me?”

“Of course!” I replied immediately.

“Alright,” she said still wearing her smile as if it was permanent on her face.

“When the universe was young, only the powerful immortals dominated the land, sea, sky, and even under the ground. Gaea, the mother of all creation, gave birth to four siblings. They were Enoch, Aneas, Minerva, and Ruf-“

“Rufflessia!” I blurted before she finished.

“You’re right, my dear,” she smiled and continued the story, “Enoch married Rufflessia and were tasked to rule Tartarus with the demons and other creatures of the dark while Aneas married Minerva and ruled in Celestia with the angels and other creatures of light.”

“They were to rule in peace for the sake of balance in the world” I added.

“Correct again. Although Enoch and Minerva hated to rule in Tartarus, for the sake of balance, they agreed to their task their mother gave them.”

Actually, this story is never new to me. My grandma began narrating the story to me when I was just a baby though it never failed to get my interest every time it is told to me. Something about it just makes it (somehow) connected to my entire being.

“However, Aneas, the King of the angels and husband of Minerva, fell in love with Rufflessia. The story would also show that Rufflessia also loved Aneas, despite her marriage with Enoch. They found out they were in love with each other and Rufflessia bore twins as the fruit of their love. They were Adam and Eve; and because they born from two opposing forces, a curse was made and they became the first vampires. In order to hide her grandchildren’s identities from Enoch, Gaea made humans to live and interact with her grandchildren. Thus, also giving them company of friends,” my grandma paused and drank water from her flower decorated ceramic mug.

“As soon as Enoch heard about Aneas and his wife’s children, he was filled with so much anger that the earth shook terribly. Because neither he nor his minions have a clue to the identity of the children of Aneas and Rufflessia; he, along with his demon army, began attacking the humans hopefully thinking to slaughter his wife’s forsaken children,” she closed her eyes and bent her head silently for a few seconds and began narrating the events again.

“He almost killed Adam and Eve when both Aneas and Gaea showed up and stopped him and because of his actions, Gaea marked a curse that will not allow him to leave Tartarus. The mark was a pentagram with wings and a wounded heart in the middle shot by an arrow. Till this very day, Enoch is still bound in Tartarus with his curse; but, he did not regret what he did. It even made his anger grew more. The descendants of Adam and Eve were called “Firstborn Descendants” or “Firstborn” if it is too long for you,” she joked with a very big smile on her face.

“Is Enoch going to go on a rampage again?” I asked innocently. My grandmother was obviously shocked by my straight forward question.

“It is for you to find out, my little angel,” she managed to hide her shocked face with a smile. That’s why I love my grandma, she smiles always (even when the times are rough).

“Good night and sleep tight. Oh, don’t let the bedbugs bite,” she turned my lamp off while she helped me with my blankets. I closed my eyes and heard her footsteps go towards the door.

“The time will come, Rose. Enoch will break free from his curse but you will be there to protect your fellow firstborn,” I heard her whisper. She obviously didn’t know I was listening though. And with that I drifted to dream land.