Chapter 1

“Ugh…”

I opened my eyes and saw myself in my peach-colored room. There were two shelves full of books each, my study table with an opened geometry book set on page 263 which is all about Pythagorean theorem, two lovely flower pots standing in the window, my closet, my bed, and the most important of all, me. I glanced at my window and was surprised to be greeted by our tree’s green rustling leaves. It was (after all) autumn in Florida.

“Rosalaine, get your butt down here already and eat breakfast,” my mom’s voice echoed throughout the house.

“Coming mom,”

“Hurry up. You’re going to be late for your first day in school,”

Crap! I forgot about it. My mind is still set on sleep-for-twelve-hours-straight mode. I forgot a brand new school year is going to start. I showered for like five minutes and got dressed in my favorite blue blouse and jeans and chose my black sandals for my feet today.

“This is going to be one heck of a day,” I said to myself.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­_____________________________________________________________________________________

“We’re here,” my dad said from the driver’s seat of our maroon-colored minivan.

I saw my BFF running towards our car wearing her blue “Kiss Me” shirt that I remembered was what she wore during our last sleepover at her house. She has a long blond hair which is almost waist length. She had awesome (and I mean it) eyes which always tell someone who looks at it a ‘don’t mess with this girl’ look. She’s nice (when you’re nice to her), and she’s very pretty (and I’m not just telling that because she’s my BFF), and she has a thing for photography too.

“Hi, Rosalaine! How’s vacation on Hawaii?” she asked with her eyes still sparkling crazy.

“Fine, if it weren’t for those horrible back-pain causing beds and the very hot rays of the sun; but, I think it was fine, I guess,” I said with a very sarcastic tone.

“Rosalaine Alice Berckundle, I already told you that a vacation in Hawaii isolated from the modern world would be a great once-in-a-lifetime experience. That is why I refrained from checking-in in hotels. A nice traditional hut and simple food would be great to make us appreciate the blessings we receive from God.” My father back fired me with all those words of ‘wisdom’.

“Sorry,” I replied with a very soft voice with a please-forgive-me look. Of course it’s just an act. I will not let my father ruin my first day of school with a very embarrassing (and I mean VERY embarrassing) act of teach-your-daughter-some-manners. I mean I could live in embarrassment, but I would not take my chances.

“You’re forgiven. Hurry up or you’ll be late for school. Again,” my father told me.

“Dad, that was last year; and I promise to change. Besides, it’s like ten minutes before the bell rings,” I said keeping my tone child-like as I can. With that I kissed him on his cleanly-shaven cheek and bid him goodbye. After that he left.

“Hey, do you want to be late or what?” my BFF said.

“Relax, Miranda. I thought Calvins are time-consuming and time-wasters,”

“Really? We Calvins are honestly not like that. Where did you get that silly idea, miss know-it-all?”

“Just kidding. Come on, you said we both have our first periods on Geometry”

“Ugh,” she shrugged, “that means we have to get to her class again. A year has been added to our two years of hell in her class,”

“I know what you mean. Now hurry if you don’t want your legs to experience stiffness from standing up for the whole period,”