Chapter 20 - The Brethren of Purity

Rich felt like he was running on a nuclear powered treadmill, as the next few weeks continued at the same pace as his first few days.  He spent his mornings and afternoons in normal lessons, and his evenings and nights trying to catch up with the other Farabis.

Even with his growing ability to retain and recall information, the battle to close the gap with scholars who had spent their lives studying Islamic texts seemed an impossible one to win.  But the other scholars hadn't been taught by Mr Abdullah from scratch, so Rich's near fresh slate allowed his teacher to build a solid foundation of knowledge on texts that were not available to those without access to the colossal library held in the Al Farabi Rooms.

Along with an enormous amount of religious studies, he learnt the true history of the Islamic culture's contribution to science and the arts.  He learnt how great Muslim scholars, such as Musa ibn Maymun, held onto and developed the philosophical bounds made by the Greeks, Aristotle and Socrates.  Under their protection, the work survived the Dark Ages when Europe turned its back on reason and progress in favour of a restricting interpretation of the Christian faith.

He found out how Jabir ibn Hayyan advanced the study of chemistry, how Musa al-Khwarizmi contributed to the world's understanding of mathematics and how Abu Bakr al-Razi developed the theory and practice of medicine.  Mr Abdullah explained that some of the Muslim leaders, known as Caliphs, embraced all forms of education and discovery: building great libraries and early predecessors to modern universities.  The library in the once great Islamic city of Cordoba was of particular interest.  

'The library's catalogue of books alone stood at almost fifty volumes, but the vast majority of the collection was destroyed when power passed to a Caliph with a more literal understanding of the Quran,' Mr Abdullah explained.

'It's ironic really,' interjected Aarzam, 'that over the centuries our ancestors saved and developed these ideas, only for subsequent generations to reject reason and philosophy in just the same way that Christian Europe had before them.'

Rich resisted the urge to visibly cringe. The older boys seemed to be setting the teacher up for his next line of discussion, as if following a script.  He also noticed that the general level of excitement in the room was on the rise.  The boys were all grinning widely and the amount of knowing looks being exchanged by all but the new ones told Rich that something very different was about to happen.

'That is true, Aarzam, but one society of loyal friends has ensured that the work of our predecessors has had refuge throughout history,' said Mr Abdullah, standing up and gently pushing his chair behind him with the backs of his knees.  'Gentlemen, please join me in standing.' 

The older boys sprang eagerly to their feet and the teacher continued as Rich and the Shells stood up more cautiously.

'Abdul...Mohammed...Rich,' he said, addressing the new boys with increasing reverence. 'You have all come on a great deal these last few weeks and I think we'd all agree that true dedication to your studies has been clear to see.'

The boys all nodded along, with varying degrees of eagerness.

'Until now, you have known our praiseworthy association by the same name as all other Harrovians, but today we shall reveal to you the hidden depths...' - he paused, taking hold of the great stone tabletop  - '...of the Brethren of Purity.'

As he spoke their true name, he pushed the tabletop hard so that it turned on an off centre pivot to reveal a well-like opening beneath.  The older boys moved to avoid the part of the tabletop that now hung over the edge of its plinth, and Rich saw the Removes' feet being nudged back slightly as three stone steps emerged from the side of the table.