Chapter 6 - Lover's Quarrel & Major Darin McGarry

11:45 PM
625 Willow Knoll Drive

Marietta, GA

Jake managed to keep a dignified look on his face as Hunter carried him into the house, and even in the seriousness of the situation, Detective Brenda Allen allowed herself a snort as she watched her boss being carried inside. Hunter set his diminutive boyfriend down on the couch, and Salena stepped towards him with an in-drawn breath to start a well thought out monologue/lecture, but Jake held up one long, slender, pale finger before she could begin to speak.

"Don't." Jake said softly, closing his eyes and laying his head back on the armrest. "Zack, go on upstairs." He continued, eyes still shut, listening to his son's basketball shoes on the carpeted steps. There was a faint click of a door being shut, and emerald green eyes popped back open to look back up at Salena.

"There was no inclination that I was his next target, or that he was capable of this, so don't even blink in th' direction of a safe house. Understood? No one outside th' door, no one inside th' door. There are three people livin' in this house that can shoot a gun, and two of them are expert marksmen. Every door has a deadbolt, and if one window so much as cracks, an alert is sent to dispatch. Now sit down and stop looking at me like you did when I got shot and you felt like it was your fault, or so help me Salena I will beat th' holy snot outta you." Jake's monologue was enough to take any fight out of the dark haired woman, and she sank into the recliner at the far end of the couch. "Go home, Brenda. Watch yourself." Jake ordered softly.

"Yes, Boss. Goodnight, sir. Lieutenant." The red haired New Yorker gave the two cops a courteous nod and left, Hunter closing the deadbolt behind her.

"Jake, you need to elevate your ankle and put that brace back on." Hunter mumbled, handing the blond a pillow. The three adults stared at anything except each other for a long, silent while, until the soft jingle of keys broke the silence.

"I'm going home. Are you coming in in the morning?" Salena asked, pushing herself up.

"Yes."

"No." Two sets of eyes flicked to Hunter, watching the top of the nurse's head as he leaned against the wall separating the living room and Jake's office, staring at the hardwood floor.

"Wanna repeat that?" Jake asked, voice neutral.

"I said 'No'. As in, you're not going to work tomorrow. As in, you'll be lucky if I let you out of my sight tomorrow. As in, I'll be damned if I'll let you step out those doors and put yourself in danger again, because I will be damned if I fucking lose you!" Jake flinched, eyes widens Hunter yelled at him for the first time in 5 months. Blue-grey eyes met emerald, and Salena shrank back into her chair as Southern Belle threatened to let loose on a verbal tirade against Tennessee Farm Boy.

But it never came.

"Okay." Jake whispered softly, eyes dropping to his lap. Hunter pressed himself against the wall, looking away from the small blond, fists clenched by his sides, and the only sounds in the room were Hunter's angry breathing and the gentle whir of the ceiling fan. Neither of them looked up as the door closed softly, and Jake flinched again when Salena's 1973 Ford Mustang roared to life.

"I'm sorry."

"I deserved that, darlin'. Help me up to bed." Hunter walked over to Jake and bent over, letting Jake sling his arm around his neck, keeping his weight off his right ankle as the two slowly went up the stairs. The white hallways gave way to the muted grey of Jake's bedroom, and the blond winced slightly when he hopped up onto the gray sheets.

"I never realized there was so much gray in your bedroom." Hunter quipped, pulling the black shirt of his scrubs over his head and tossing it in Jake's laundry hamper.