•2•

I would constantly look at the clock.
It's been three weeks and this barrier of awkwardness is still there.
I have counted the words we have said to each other.

Exactly 53 words have been said between us.

We just happen to be the quietest table and that's the only reason the teacher doesn't separate us.

"Hey, do you have the answers for the homework." I asked
"I got home late yesterday and I wasn't able to do much of it"

"Yeah here it is, just you know don't copy all of it word by word."

"Yeah sure thing, thank you."
...
Ms. Perkins was her name.
She walked in with a grimace as she does every morning since her husband left her for the gym teacher.

"Ok class well since I hate everyone here please turn in your homework to me by the end of the day"

That first part wasn't really said by her, but you could tell that's what she meant when she said "Good morning class."

"Do you want me to turn in your homework​?"

"Yes, please." She had this smile like she had done something very evil.

"If you turn it in now I will check it before we go over the answers are you sure you want to do that."

"Eh yeah." I responded

"Ok well I'll have your grade by lunch."

As I sat down I noticed someone was talking to her. He sat down in my chair and was talking to her.

"Hey man you're in my seat."

"Oh don't worry dude I moved your stuff over there I sit here now."

Well I guess so much for assigned seats. Ms. Perkins let it slide as she tended to but very quiet.
...
For the first time in my life I have started to play football. My first practice was without pads. Coach said it had to do with the district and their policy about sports.

So I stood in there in the hot humid Texas weather. And all I could think was of her. And I laughed because I didn't even know her name. I was falling for someone and I didn't even know her name.

"Hey you! The one without pads help the nurse give the guys water. Quickly!"

I ran quickly towards the water stand where the nurse was filling up the water bottles. To my mistake I didn't notice a big puddle of water from last night's ran and I fell and slipped in it.

I laid there for half a second, I didn't want to get up. Everyone was laughing at me. And to make matters worse one of the guys with pads was her guy. Whose name I also do not know.

He laughed until the tears came out of his eyes. I struggled to get up.

"Hey skipper get your ass up get that water for us." The coach said.

It stuck, skipper was my name. Soon the school was onto me. Even the guys who didn't play football called me skipper.

I didn't understand it until one time in Biology we were going over air breathing fish. And when the teacher projected the first example on the board everyone started pointing at me. She never looked back. But she she takes a laugh to go along with it.

"Why are y'all pointing at Luis?!?" Ms. Perkins asked.

I didn't want to be reminded of it until
Bryan, her guy, pointed out my "struggle" to get out of the mud.

And Ms. Perkins let out a small laugh.
"That's not funny you guys he could've injured himself."

"It's fine Ms. I didn't notice the puddle and fell right in."

"Regardless of that its still not funny."

"But you laughed" I thought. I stayed quiet, as the class continued to make jokes. But she never turned around, was she the only who felt bad? Was she too shy to say anything about it?

I didn't let it bother me too much and eventually it died out. The name however stayed, but it wasn't a joke anymore. In the name of skipper I told myself. As if to encourage myself.

I've always thought the best encouragement comes from oneself.
Because at the end of the day you are the person that controls your actions.