Chapter 3

~ Chapter 3 ~

•  Isabelle's POV  •

The sound of my phone ringing woke me up. Normally I wouldn't have answered it, but I had an overwhelming feeling that I had to get it. As I picked up the phone, the sound of Jessica crying from the other end rang in my ear and caused me to immediately panic.

Shock struck me like a thunderbolt. With my pyjama on, I stepped into Aunt Mary's car and sped off down the dirt track.

"No! No! Where are you going? Tell me! Please stay here. Or bring me with you. I only have both of you other than mom. No!" Aunt Mary continued her way, dragging Jessica by her hand.

Tears were beginning to run down my cheeks when Jessica whispered a soft goodbye. They entered the small aeroplane. Soon, it departed, leaving the ground of America to somewhere I did not know.

~ ~ ~

It is a few minutes before break time and the class is visibly agitated. Everybody was restless and even the teacher fidgeting quietly in his seat. I had hoped and prayed that the teacher would postpone the inspection of homework until his next period, a few days later.

The ringing of the bell convinced me that my prayers had been answered. There was a tangible change in mood. The brooding atmosphere gave way to an excited chatter of happy voices.

I was on my way to the door when Mr. Kyle stopped my excitement. I close my eyes for seconds, mad by his action. "You've made me disappointed, Isabelle. Your result these days are getting worse. You must work harder. I don't care what your problem is. You know yourself better than anyone else. You should know where you are weak at and try to improve it."

He continued his harsh murmuring. Unintentionally, I took a look at his face. It was strict, angry, and cold. Why did he face me with such an expression? His serious look and frightening eyes were blaming me as if I had cheated in an exam, stolen in a shop, been caught by the police or even murdered somebody.

Why did he care for me? I don't care about my life. So why should him? "Do you understand that?" I don't want anyone to know about me. Being alone made me felt more comfortable.

"Yes," the only word that came out of my mouth. Mr. Kyle got up of his chair, took his coat and said, "Well, if you need me, I'll be there for you." He looked at me for the last time and left me dumbfounded in the classroom.

~ ~ ~

• Mr. Kyle's POV •

"I'm sorry, Isabelle. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'll help you. I must start my mission now. You're not going to make it if it's too late. Don't worry, Isabelle. I'll always watching you and be by your side."

The tip of my pen slid across a plain paper, staining it in black.

~ ~ ~

• Isabelle's POV •

I looked at my locker. My books and other personal things, all were drenched. I take a picture that stick to the inner side of the locker's door.

It's my picture with Jessica. I flipped the picture over and found a writing. 'Missing your best friend? Pity you.' I clenched my fists in frustrating and gritted my teeth in desperation.

Bang! The door slammed open. "Where's Megan?" "I.. I don't know," Suzanne stuttered and continued to speak, "M.. Maybe she's in the gym."