Chapter 1

~ Chapter 1 ~

"Fasten your seatbelts, dear." Ruby made sure of her children safety. I ignored my mom's request as usual. I hate seatbelts. It prevent me from looking through the window. Dad shook his head and continued to arrange our luggage in the car bonnet. We were going to leave our house for a week for California. Just thinking of the name California thrilled me.

Dad sped up towards the airport when he realised that we were late. The jammed earlier had taken so much time. Suddenly, a car swerved into our path. Dad took evasive action to avoid a collision but he lost control of the vehicle. The next moment my body hit against a window and I felt my body being launched into space as the impact of the collision hurled me flying into the air.

I fell heavily on the grass verge of the road and rolled into a monsoon drain. The rough concrete sides of the drain added bruise on my knees and elbows. Kaboom! "Oh no! Not an explosion!" I cried and scrambled out of the drain. The blood that had been trickling from my forehead had been pouring in a thin but steady stream, pooling below my nose.

My eyes were losing the power of holding a purposeful steady gaze but I managed to crawl closer to the scene. The bright flames did not stop me from approaching a figure nearby. There lay a woman, a child in her hand and they were saturated with red substance. I remained speechless for a long time before I heard footsteps hurrying in my direction. I felt dizzy and then blacked out.

~ ~ ~

Thud! I stood frozen. I looked at the book that fell just a step away from me. How did the book fell? "Maybe it slipped off from my hand." I let out a relieved sigh. Luckily, it did not hit right on my leg. I picked up the book and blow the dust off the book. I tried to flick through the pages of the book, but it is all worthless. The book did not want itself to be open.

"Elle, where are you? Dinner's ready!" "I'm here! Give me a minute," I shouted. I quickly put the book into my orange bag along with two recipes book and quickly walked out of the storeroom. "What were you doing in there? I've been searching for you," Jessica asked. "Just looking for something. Not important. And sorry." An apologetic smile playing on my lips.

We enjoyed our dinner with Aunt Mary in silence. Later, we watch a horror movie. Most of the time, Jessica covered her sight with a small cushion. I giggled. She really hate all the screaming and sudden appearance of ghost or such things. On the contrary, I love those. Done watching, I took my bag where I left it before and ran upstairs into my room.

I sat on my bed and took the books I found earlier out of my bag. Two recipes book and an unknown book. My eyes sticked to the mysterious book. The book looked like it was holding a great secret and mystery. I looked for ways to open the book. The strange markings around it looked familiar to me. But I do not know when or where I had seen it. Then, I felt something on the cover of the book. It was kind of like a missing jigsaw puzzle hole. There got to be something that fitted it.

Knock! Knock! "Am I interrupting? You look kind of busy." Jessica asked while walking towards me. She settled down next to me. "No, just.. Look at this." I showed her the book. "Yeah, what's with this book? Your secret diary? Awesome! I want to read it," she said and snatched the book from my hand. I rolled my eyes. She tried to open it but failed. I chuckled. "That's what I wanted to tell you. I can't open it. And I don't have a diary. Everything is.." "..on your mind." She pointed to her head. I gave her a smile. "Jess, you knew exactly what I was going to say."

"Yeah. Yeah. I'll help you with this. Just wait a second," she said. She went to the corridor and shouted for Aunt Mary. I followed her move. "Mom, will you make us something delicious for our supper? Please," she pleaded to Aunt Mary with a cute face. "Okay, dear. Anything for you. Almost anything." Aunt Mary slowed her voice on the last sentence. "What is it, mom?" "Nothing dear." I laughed .

"ELLE!" Shocked, I almost fall from the bed. "Sorry, what were you saying? I was thinking about this," I stared at the book. "Yeah, I knew it. You almost burn the book or at least make a hole through it." I grinned. "Hey, let me see the book," Jessica said. "Yeah, it matched." I frowned, "Excuse me, Jessica Turner. What exactly you're talking about?"

"Your necklace. The one with your name on it. Elle, it matched with the book," she stated.

~ ~ ~

I turned off the shower and wrap a towel around my body. Felt refreshed after jogged with Jessica just now. I was walking to the closet when something caught my eyes. A letter on my pillow.

I became confused. What was she thinking? Writing a letter while we were under the same roof? She had got to be kidding me! I changed into a mini dress and tie my hair into a ponytail. I then took the letter and read it. 'Happy Birthday, Dear Isabelle.' My cheeks burned. She remembered it.

I kept the letter in my private box that was located under my bed and ran downstairs. I looked for Jessica and when I found her, I hugged her from behind. "Thanks, Jess." "What? That was too early! I was just about to bring this cake to you. Ugh, you've ruined my plan!" Jessica shouted. "Happy sixteenth birthday, Isabelle Rodriguez. I'm sorry. It's just a small cake," tears flowing down her cheeks when she said it. "Hey, no matter big or small the cake is, having you by my side is enough," I stated.

A delectable aroma wafted to my nose causing me to licked my lips. We looked around to figure out where the aroma was comimg from. Aunt Mary was bringing a plate of apple pie to the bench outside for our teatime. We wiped our tears and went for our favourite pie.

~ ~ ~

A gentle wind was blowing. It ruffled my hair and caressed my cheeks. I walked along the beach while looking at the beautiful sunset.

Living near the beach was nice. The white sand and crystal clear blue ocean made a perfect combination. I spent my leisure time swimming in the ocean and sometimes I collect shells to make handcrafts.

"Are you coming?" Jessica asked. She was wearing a green dress that matched her eyes colour. "Yea. Let's go."

We reached the hospital at 6.10 p.m.. Out of sudden, my phone rang. "Hello." There was no one on the other side of the phone. But I heard drops of water. Weird. "Hello? Who's there?" I hang up the phone. I hate it when anyone playing around with the phone call.

I continued my way  to Ward 2A. There lay a woman. Eyes closed, hands and legs were stick to its place. Never move except for her chest. She was breathing.

Mom was in coma. I did not want to see mom like that but I cannot do anything. I just can wait for her to wake up from that state.

I put a bunch of roses on the table beside her. Jessica was on the phone with someone. I sat on a chair nearby while watching Aunt Mary cleaning mom's body.

Mom, four years had passed. Yet you still there. Lying motionless. I regreted it mom. I did. We were lucky. The necklace. The only thing I had to remind me of you. Somehow I think it saved both of us. We wore the same necklaces when the incident happen.

And it was exactly the same. The necklace match the book. But why does nothing happen? The book was supposed to be open. It has to.

I hold mom's hands tightly and brought them closer to my chest. Mom, I miss your smile. I miss you carressing my hair. I miss you kiss me every time before going to bed. I miss to cry on your shoulder. I miss you, mom. I do.

It's my birthday. But I just want you to wake up. I love you, mom.