Chapter 4

~ Chapter 4 ~

• Isabelle's POV •

I slumped on my bed. I could feel my irritation rising up. The unknown caller called me. Again. This time, he was not talking too. The sound of water droplets had been replaced by the sound of water flowing.

The evening's chains of events played in my mind. I found Megan stretching in the gym. Her face when red as I threw a bucket of water on her.

"What? You must have an acceptable reason for doing this." She glared at me with burning eyes. "Yea, you're jealous of me for having great friends. Now that Jess had left, that doesn't mean we aren't friends anymore. I know you bear a grudge with me, Megan."

She sighed, "I don't know whatever you're talking about but I'm not that kind of person. We used to be best friends, Elle. Our argument two years ago made me realised you're such a good friend. Honestly, I tried to be friend with you. But you avoided me since then."

My phone vibrated twice indicated a text message arrived. I check my inbox. 'You should have punch Megan on the face.' I dropped my phone. There were only Megan and I in the gym just now. Someone else spying on us?

Another text message arrived from the same number. 'Too shock? Close your mouth, dear.' I closed my mouth. Even I, myself didn't notice my jaw dropped opened.

'Who are you?' I replied to the number. Wait. What? He's in the house? In my room? I rushed downstairs, afraid of what seemed to be a stalker in the house. Reached the front door, I squeezed the handle of the door in a downward motion. The door stucked. I took a deep breath and tried again but I had hoped against hope.

Then a dim light appeared behind me. I saw it through the reflection on the glass door. I turned around to see the mystery book I found earlier laying on the floor across the hall. I sat on the floor slowly, stunned by the light in front of me.

'You know me. Open the book, Isabelle. There are lots of things for you to discovered in there.' "I'd tried it. I can't!" I cried. 'Think outside the box. I've given you enough hints.' I was aware of the fact that I might be insane for following a stranger's order.He said he knew me. But my curiosity did not stop me from thinking about the book.

"Water!" I gasped, realised something. "Woah, you heard me. I said something directly and you replied it through messages.  How about you revealed yourself?" I said without thinking twice. 'You'll meet me. Soon. Now, do your work.'

I kept on being alert. Who knows, he might jump in front of me and kill me without mercy. I brought a bowl of water along with a box of tissue.

I dipped my right hand into the bowl.

"What now? Rubbed it onto my face? Doesn't the book will soaked? Then it's hard to see what's inside!" 'Remember the strange markings? Follow the trail.' I fight the urge to roll my eyes and followed the instruction by carefully touch the book.

"Nothing. Happen." 'Be patient.' Out of the blue, the book moved and began to float. It slipped across my face and dropped on my open hands.

I turned the first page. There written, in big font, the number '16'. "What is this all about? Sixteen? What that had to do with me?"

Silence. I continued to flick through the first few pages. "Done, now take your book away from me!" I immediately closed the book and run upstairs locked myself in the room.

My eyes became watery, obscuring my sight and tears rolled down drop by drop. I tried to keep my lips close tight to avoid an outburst of crying and  tried to stop shaking.

The rain beat against my bedroom window as I lay on my bed. My tears soaked the pillow that I clutched, for it seemed to comfort me.