Chapter 5: Naminé's New Friend

I stood in front of the mirror, staring at myself wearing my brand new school uniform. Today would be my first day of my new school. I felt a little insecure about how short the skirt was. I never liked showing off too much skin put in public, but I guess it couldn't be helped since the school was inhabited in a tropical climate.

I tended to my backpack to make sure that I packed all the school supplies I needed for the day. I made sure I had paper, binders, a folder, and writing utensils. I was all set.

I went downstairs to the kitchen to be greeted by Uncle Ansem at the table, each side with pancakes smothered with running maple syrup on a platter.

"Good morning, Naminé. Are you excited for your first day of school?" he asked before shoving a fork of pancake in his mouth.

"I guess so," I settled my satchel on the side of the table and started eating breakfast. The pancake was still warm, and fluffy too. I was so surprised that he could bake this good. "Wow, these pancakes are awesome, Uncle," I complimented after I swallowed.

Uncle Ansem giggled. "One of my specialties." He rested his chin on his hands. "So today's your first day of school. Are you excited? Nervous?"

"Ehh... a little half and half." Leaning more toward the nervous side.

"Are you sure you want to take the train by yourself? I have time to drop you off."

I waved my hand at him. "It's okay, Uncle. I have a map. It doesn't seem too hard to find from the train station. I can handle it."

Uncle Ansem showed a look of concern. His shoulders moved up and down as he gave a deep sigh. "All right. If you say so."

Once the last slice of hotcake was devoured, I checked my phone to look at the time. I stood up while wiping my mouth with a napkin. "I gotta go now. I'll see you later." I grabbed my things and started heading out for the door.

"All right. Be safe, Namine. Make some friends!" he said before I closed the door behind me.

"All right. Today is a new day," I said to myself, feeding my inner confidence. Today is my first day at a new school. A brand new life. Perhaps I should take Olette's advice and try something new for once. Attempt to make at least one friend. I will not try to draw too much attention to myself, but at the same time practice to be sociable. "Starting today," I exclaimed as I thrusted my fist in the air, but immediately drew it back, realizing how stupid I must have sounded. I took my first step, and already my legs felt like jelly.

"Oh gosh..." This was all so new to me. I grew up in Twilight Town my whole life. All the teenagers here are local islanders. I would completely stand out. People would point at me and call me the city girl. Not to mention, this was sophomore year. Everybody practically already know each other and have their buddy groups. What if everyone has their own groups and I'm the only one outside of their circles? I would just make things awkward for them if I suddenly join. I'm a total outsider and introvert. I can't do this!

Who was a kidding? I'm not here to make friends. The only reason I came here was because of my health. What matters is that I keep up with my grades. All I need is three more years of no distractions, and then I'll be graduating. I was never able to make close friends then. What will make this time different?

I wrecked my hair and turned around without thinking. Right when I was about to put my hand on the door knob, the door swung open. Uncle Ansem almost bumped into me. "Oh, Naminé! Thank goodness you came back. You forgot your lunch." He held up the doggy bag for me.

"Oh... thanks, Uncle," I said. My heart was pounding so loud, I hoped he couldn't hear it.

After I took the bag, Uncle Ansem smoothed out my hair a bit. "You better get going. If you do happen to miss the train, call me and I'll pick you up," he said with a smile. "Good luck, Nami."