Chapter 4: Spikey Hair

I woke up with this stinging pinch on my cheek. Out of instinct, I slapped my cheek, and when my vision cleared up, I could see the squished orange insides of the perpetrator. "Gross..." I groaned. My first morning in a new page of my life and I was kissed awake by a pesky mosquito. Good morning to you too.

I was forced to get up from bed and tried my best to stay conscious as I dragged my feet to the bathroom. When I entered the bathroom, I was greeted with a colony sea shells. The shower curtains were shell patterned, the window sill and toilet had shells sitting on them, and a few shell portraits hung on the walls. A shelly shelled world.

It wasn't that I was too tired, but would rather quickly wash big guts off my hand than to care about my uncle's house decorating taste. I let the cold water run as I scrubbed my hand with a shell-shaped soap.

***

After sleeping the second time, I finally got up, brushed my teeth and hair, and went into my wardrobe. There were still large gaps between hanged clothes since I could only bring so much with me, but at least they were the outfits I needed. Maybe I could find a part time job here so that I'll be able to afford my own clothes.

I pulled out a nice, knee-high white sundress with flowered frills at the hem. I took it off the hanger and let the dress fall down on me with my arms up. Once I was fully wearing it, I tied a blue ribbon belt around my waist. I put on my sun hat, grabbed my satchel, then headed down stairs.

When I came down, Uncle Ansem appeared to be in a hurry. He was panicking as he savaged through his cabinets and piles of files, picking out different papers from different spots. "Good morning, Naminé," my uncle greeted while still on his egg hunt. "I'm terribly sorry. I wanted to show you around town myself today, but something urgent happened at the lab, so I need to get there as soon as possible." He straightens his stack of papers by tapping them on a desk, then he lifted up a brown brief case. "Will you be all right?"

"Oh yeah, I'll be totally fine, Uncle. You can go ahead," I encouraged. "I can go exploring myself."

"Okay. Most of the townspeople are nice, but watch out for shady characters. And keep an eye out for gangs," he said as he was trudging toward the door."

"Don't worry, I will." This was the first I ever heard of Destiny Islands having street gangs. I always thought it was a peaceful place.

"There are bagels in the kitchen," and with that last note, he shut the door behind him. The house became silent with nothing but the bubbling of the fish tanks.

When I walked outside of the house, I could see the town from where I stood. The breeze softly blew my golden locks behind my shoulders. The air smelled fresh with a hint of seasalt. I set out with my head high and a positive attitude. It felt like a really nice day today.

Out in the market streets, vendors were singing the products they were selling at their carts and under their tents. There were many giftshops filled with Destiny Island knick-knacks, beach wear, ti di  shirts, flowers, and of course, sea shells. There was this one custom made shell charm that caught my attention. It hung on twine on a nail at the wooden corridor of a shell shop, over a basket of its kind. Five Thalassa shells were sowed together, forming a shape of a star. When I observed it in my hand, the merchant noticed my interest.

"That's a Wayfinder you got there," he informed in a raggedy voice while pointing at the merchandise. He was tanned to almost brown, wearing a white cap with an apron to match. "Ever heard of one of these before?"

I shook my head in response. It was my first time seeing one. He continued, "These are good luck charms. Authentic ones like these are really genuine. If you an' a friend hold one a' these each, you'll be bound together forever. Buy two for five dollars."