Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

“Oh my gosh,” Timmy’s mother muttered under her breath. “Please tell me I’m just imagining this, please telling me I’m just imagining this…”

“Honey, let’s get out of here,” Timmy’s dad said. He grabbed Timmy’s hand and his wife’s arm. “Let’s get OUT OF HERE.” They rushed out of the room, and were immediately followed by Dad. Mom, however, stayed with me, a grave expression on her face.

“Mom, I’m so-“

“It’s not your fault,” she interrupted. “We knew this was going to happen someday.”

………………………………

In the end, Timmy and his parents managed to get away from our house before my dad could beg them not to tell anyone about this incident.

“I’m sure they won’t tell anyone unless they want to be thought of as lunatics,” he had told me.

My parents took this whole incident surprisingly well. They both claimed that they “knew it was going to happen someday.” To be honest, I kind of expected to be discovered at some point in my life. Just not that soon, and especially not in the comfort of my own home.

To clear my mind, I decided to head down to our beach. Since it was private, no one could discover me there. I grabbed my sketchbook and beach bag, slipped on some flip flops, and went out the door.

I was immediately hit with the smell of the ocean. I inhaled deeply, taking in the scent. I love the smell of the beach. I don’t know why, but it instantly relaxes me.

I took my towel out of my beach bag and spread it over the sparkling white sand. I then spread sunscreen all over myself to protect my creamy beige skin, put sunglasses over my green eyes, and scraped back my long, layered, ink black hair into a ponytail. I plopped down onto my towel and sighed.

“Natalie, why me?” I took out my sketchbook and gazed into her eyes pleadingly. “Why do I have to be the person who has a mutation? Why can’t I be normal?”

“This is what fate has chosen for you,” Natalie said. “Embrace it.”

“How am I supposed to embrace invisibility if I can’t even control it?”

“Maybe there is a way to control it.”

“You really think so?”

“Yes.” I thought about it for a moment. Is that possible? Was there some kind of inner energy that I had inside of me to allow myself to control my invisibility? Maybe I could give it a try.

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried with all my might to disappear. I opened my eyes and looked at my hands.

“Natalie, it didn’t work,” I said.

“Maybe you have to have some sort of device,” she replied.

“True, but where would I even get it?”

“I don’t know.”

“Even if I did, my parents would never let me go outside of the house!” I put Natalie away in my beach bag, thoroughly exasperated. Calm down, June.

I got up and walked over to the water, inhaling the salty scent. I closed my eyes and slowly walked into the ocean just enough so that the waves could reach my toes. I instantly relaxed.

…………………………………….