Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

Throughout the rest of the week, my head was in the clouds. Everything seemed to be a dream. I didn’t really pay attention to anything I was doing. Sally, one of the older waitresses who acts like my mother, even said something about how I’m not ‘in my usual game.’

Nathan and I were doing great. We haven’t gone on another date since we were so busy, but living with him was enough for me.

“I’m home,” I called out to the apartment, tucking my keys back into my purse.

“Junie, come help me with my homework,” Ray greeted me from the couch.

“Where is everyone?” I frowned, sitting down next to him.

“Lane and Ruth are with some friends and Nathan is still working,” he replied. “I don’t know about Ally, though.”

“She’s working a few extra hours,” I supplied. “So what do you need help with?”

“Oh,” Ray blushed. “I actually just wanted to talk.”

“Okay,” I said cautiously. “Talk.”

“You and Nathan are together now, right?”

“Yeah…”

“Cool,” he looked at the floor.

We sat in silence.

“Is that all you wanted to talk about?” I scrunched my nose in confusion.

“I really like you, June,” Ray blurted. “I want to be more than friends.”

I looked at the floor. “Oh,” I whispered.

Ray touched my chin and I looked up at him.

“Can you please break up with Nathan?” he pleaded.

“I can’t,” I looked away.

“Why not? I know you feel the same about me.”

“I don’t,” I scooted away from him. When I looked up, the expression on his face was of hurt and shock. That came out way harsher than I intended it to be. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” he breathed and scooted a little closer to me.

I abruptly stood up, but he stood up with me.

“Ray, what are you doing?”

“Kiss me, June.”

“I can’t! I like Nathan!”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” he growled and leaned forward too quickly for me to react to.

Our lips crashed together, and I tried to move away but he kept a tight grip on my face. I tried to scream but if I opened my mouth…well, you know. He pinned me to the wall and I struggled against him.

“What the heck is going on here?” a voice said from the door. Ray quickly pulled away from me and I looked up to see Nathan standing in the doorway.

“Nathan, I can explain,” I started.

He put his hand up. “You don’t need to,” he growled. “I get it, but why couldn’t you have told me you didn’t want to be with me from the start?” his eyes were full of hurt.

“Nathan –“

“I don’t want to hear it,” he whispered, and he was gone in a flash, transporting to who knows where.

I sat completely still on the couch, unmoving before slowly turning to Ray. I slapped him across the cheek as hard as I could.

“Get out,” I tried to sound and look as intimidating as possible.