🏜️ 1

"Once long ago, on the hottest desert ever recorded, there lived a rather small but advanced civilization.

The differences between philosophies and cultures were always up for debate, but never have been a reason for chaos.

A large village soon bloomed and was named May, in honour of the ruler's clan."

The girl with a long curly hair and hazelnut brown eyes read to her cousin.

"Is that it? That's how it all began?", the other girl in the room asked in disbelief. They shared similar features  but the latter's eyes always seemed to be darker. Always keeping her hair cut short had caused the curly strands almost invisible.

"Yes. Is there something wrong?"

"I just find it too...short? I don't know. I feel like there's a story still left untold somewhere. A different story. I mean, what if that wasn't exactly what happened?"

"If you'll put it that way, it does kind of makes sense to think there might be holes to this. There are so many questions to be answered, Young mistress."

"You're righ--wait... Have you just called me Young mistress? I already told you to call me on my given name. Why do you always forget that?"

And suddenly the floor looked interesting to N. She whispered an apology because she never wanted argument, the more she never meant to ignore what her cousin said. She just couldn't help it. She belonged to the branch family, how can she possibly address a princess so casually?

"I am sorry too and raise your head already. N, you know that I see you as my sister rather than a distant cousin. We've known each other since we were kids. I may be treated like a princess, but I am no different from you. A normal girl. There's no need for formalities, please call me C."

"Vitamin C."

"You didn't!"

"I did!"

The two girls stared at each other's faces and then, bursted into a laughing mess. Everything was just beautiful. They were cousins, but they were also best friends.