🏜️ 5

C's POV:

"Are you May Z, Sir?"

"Depends who's asking."

"Oh, sure. Sir, I'm May C. At your service, Sir."

"You share the same last name as me!"

"As I, Sir."

"Fine, I give up.", my brother waved his hands in defeat and chuckled, "What did you come here for?"

Truth be told, I was really hoping Z could help me out with something. I just--I don't want to be heard. I want to be listened to...

"Do you believe in history?"

That was the first question that escaped my mouth and he nodded.

"Everything in it?", I added and he also nodded at that.

"Do you think something was altered or that there were parts missing?"

This time, he only stared at me like he was hesitating or something.

"Well, do you?", he finally spoke and I nodded.

"To be honest, I don't really know myself... I just realized recently how it's possible that some things weren't what we thought they are.", he ran his fingers on his hair.

He let out a exasperated sigh before continuing, "Like we've been told what was pleasant to the ears and it's scaring every bits of me! What if we've been sleeping on something very important?!"

"What do you mean?", I wanted him to go further. A part of me was celebrating the moment he took this topic seriously. Another part of me felt bad for doing this to him. He looks so uncomfortable right now.

"Remember the books I brought home? They were written by this guy, he was around the same age as me. I think. I haven't really thought of asking. It just kind of happened when we became close friends."

I nodded, waiting for him to go on.

"Anyway, he sees this world from a different perspective and his best way of expressing them was by writing. He has written a whole lot of books, you'd never imagine when you first meet him. His books mostly end tragic in the way you least expect it."

"--they seem to mess with our perfect reality.", I murmured to myself, not wanting to cut him off.

"--they sound like another history! They're different from what we've always known and I don't know. Maybe he's just that incredible author to make his readers question reality and believe what he's written to be the truth, but now I can't keep on living a life I'm no longer sure wasn't a twisted lie all along. It scares every piece of me!", the sight of him shaking and being this vulnerable has made me pull him to a hug.

"There's nothing to be afraid of, brother. We could try to find clues on something about everything and figure out everything about something. Makes sense?", I whispered, trying my best to console him with a pat on the back.

"Have you forgotten that we--You and I--we belong to this main family of the clan history became all about?? We don't even know how exactly our great great grandparents manage to become the leaders of this place. Who knows who wrote our history, in the first place? No one really was curious enough to ask and now you've done it. "

"Do you see what's going to happen?? We'll be the very first ones to become a mess when something pops up out of nowhere. The next leader is me and I...", I felt my shoulder dampen, but I didn't mind. I caused him this and I'm here to stay with him. We can face it together.

I just hadn't thought of what could go wrong and fear began to sink in me. I fear to know the truth. I fear someone else will know before I could. I fear not being able to do anything when the time comes. I fear I'm going to lose everything and I'll never be ready for that.

Now, I know why my brother always travel. He has so much pressure on his shoulders. He has a lot going on his mind. He needs air from everything. If he keeps himself here, he might lose his mind.

"What was his name again?", I pulled away slowly from the hug to look at him in the eyes.

He used the back of his hand to wipe his watery eyes. I waited patiently for him to adjust back to himself again and when he looked calm enough, I asked if I may know his friend's name.

"J."