Chapter 7: What A Surprise

The next day was finally time for Lydia and Harper’s mom to leave. Harper loved her family, but only in small doses. She could handle one at a time, or multiple for a few days, but that was it. They were very loud compared to Harper’s quiet, boring life.

“Guess what!” Lydia enthused when Harper got out of bed.

“What?” Harper asked, groggily.

“I’m staying for a little while longer. Don’t worry, I’ll find a job and pay half the rent if it’s really any trouble,” Lydia explained.

Harper was taken aback for a second. “You’re staying?” She repeated.

“It’s not for Austin if that’s what you’re thinking,” Lydia said sarcastically, giving Harper a wink.

“Oh, what a surprise,” Harper murmured. “You’re lucky that you’re my favourite cousin and I don’t mind having you around,” she added as she went into the kitchen to start some coffee.

Today Harper had to go to work. She had taken too many days off and her bank account couldn’t handle it anymore. At least now she had Lydia to help her out, right?

Harper felt comfortable at her job. It was a pretty quiet environment at the small diner, and all she did was clean tables and top up peoples coffee. She was perfectly fine with it because there wasn’t very much human interaction.

“Yo bitch,” Harper heard behind her. She turned around, seeing Nicole walk into the restaurant.

“Hey slut,” Harper said, giving Nicole a side hug.

“Give me some fucking coffee,” she mumbled, taking a seat.

Harper sighed and grabbed a mug before pouring Nicole a cup of coffee and sliding the cream and sugar to her end of the table. “What are you doing here?” She finally asked, wiping down the table to make it look like she was busy doing something.

“I’m coming here because I’m your best friend and tonight I’m going to Austin Carlile’s house. A little bird told me that he lives with your boyfriend,” she explained, taking a sip of her coffee.

Harper quickly sat down across from Nicole to get more details, not caring if her boss was watching her or not.

“It’s for someone’s birthday party. His name is Phil Mansalad or something,” Nicole added.

Harper snorted. “Manansala,” she corrected.

“Whatever. I recommend you go and keep an eye on your man. You’ll want to know if he’s unfaithful from the beginning so you don’t get into big trouble further in the relationship.” Nicole had dated many jerks, so Harper appreciated her knowledge, but sometimes it wasn’t always needed.

“Thanks, Nicole. I’ll keep that in mind,” she said as she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. She wasn’t supposed to have it on her but she did anyways because she couldn’t stand having her phone out of reach.

 Alan: are you busy tonight? We’re throwing a party for Phil and i want you to come and meet everyone c:

“Well, I don’t think you’re going to have to worry about Alan because he just invited me to the party,” Harper said, smiling to herself and answering his text before getting back to work.

How the hell was she supposed to dress for something like this? Harper didn’t know how many strippers would be there and she wouldn’t want anyone to mistake her for being a stripper so she should probably go the safe route.