Chapter three

*Tom*
"What. Do. You. Freaking. Want?" She asked impatiently.

But I couldn't reply because at that moment the sun caught her hair and turned it into a halo of light and I couldn't look away let alone open my mouth to apologise. Her cheeks coloured slightly under my stare and I allowed myself some pleasure in the fact that she was blushing about me before realising how intently I was staring and it was my turn to blush.

She used to be the most beautiful and gutsy girl at Kingston High until she was in a car crash two years ago and her sister went into a coma and she got a scar that run from her right eyebrow to the middle of her scalp. If she had been hit any lower or any harder she would have been dead instantly I would have guessed. I can remember when her and her practically local celebrity sister used to throw the most amazing house parties but those girls both vanished and since then Jenn has been reserved and removed from society. The word was that her farther spent a massive proportion of his fortune on Jenn after the accident. But rumours tended to spiral at Kingston.

I can still remember Jenn's sister, Evie. She was the nicest person I think I've ever met. She had dated my brother the year before the crash, when me and Jenn were just fourteen. They were seventeen and so, so happy. She volunteered at freaking nurseries and played video games with me. Everyone loved her; she was a goddess. But she had been in a coma for the last two years. No sign of dying. No sign of waking.

Jenn'd had everything so difficult but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to be kind to her. Not a single nice comment, to say I'm sorry she had to deal with all of that. It all seems easier to be a dick to her; it's probably best if she doesn't get too close to me anyway. I've trained myself to be an absolute douch and it's harder to break a habit than it is to make one.

*Jenn*

He was looking at me so intently and then with so much pity. I wanted to reach out and touch him.

And then smack him.

I don't want his pity. I've seen that look too many times. It's sickening.

I know I'd rather not be known at all than to be known as the girl with a practically dead sister and a scar smudging her once pretty face.

And I know somehow that he's thinking of that. Well it's anything anyone thinks of me now I think. My music was still playing, forgotten in my ears, but I couldn't break his eye contact to turn it off.

It has been a while since someone had looked at me like this. Like they wanted to help me. Like they cared. At school people tended to stay clear of me and avoid eye contact. And at home dad confined himself to his office and mum practically lived at the hospital with my sister.

My sister.

My beautiful sister.

Before I knew it I was crying.

•••

A/N this was my first emotional chapter idk how it went please tell me what you think :) :(

I dropped Jenn's past in now, a bit of the way into the book, because I don't want her character to be built off her flaws but I think she needs them.