Chapter 4: Friendships and Rivalries Are Born

Chapter 4:

Gryffindors and Slytherins: Rivalries and Friendships Are Born

"Quite a lot of Gryffindors this year, don't you think, Albus? Ten of them! Discipline isn't going to be easy this year, I'll tell you," whispered McGonagall to Dumbledore up at the staff table; all the while the students were hurrying to finish their delicious food before it vanished.

"I agree, Minerva, but do you know what? I have a feeling they may come in handy one day," concluded Albus mysteriously. Minerva watched him as he eyed the large clump of Gryffindor first-years on the end of their table. They all seemed to get along quite well, he thought. There were ten of them: Mariah Sapphire, Sirius Black, James Potter, Peter Pettigrew, Emily Bolonay, Maddi Craking, Daria Smith, Lily Evans, Mary MacDonald and, perhaps the most surprising of all, Remus Lupin. Dumbledore was glad that the boy would be away from the Slytherins; in the case that anyone found out about his-er-condition, Albus didn't want any bad influences around Remus. Werewolves were considered by the Ministry to be dark and dangerous creatures, so naturally that affected everyone's opinion of them, especially old pureblood families, who made up most of the Slytherin population.

As Minerva continued staring, Albus abruptly stood up out of his seat and clapped once. Instantly, all the food in the hall vanished. The first-year's mouths dropped open like small "O"s as the rest went on like nothing out of the ordinary had happened- which, for them, was true. "Now that your bellies are full of such delicacies, I must ask the Prefects to escort your House to the dormitories. Good night to all!" And, with a kind smile and graceful bow, Dumbledore backed out of the Great Hall, followed by many of the professors.

Slowly standing up, the new Gryffindors realized how tired they were, and sleepily followed the Head Boy and Girl, two people named Molly Prewett and Arthur Weasley- who both happened to be Gryffindors- to Gryffindor Tower.

After several hallways, a few trick doors, a screaming doorknob, a vanishing staircase, and a few shortcuts, they finally arrived. The Head Girl gave the painting, whom everyone had heard was called the Fat Lady, the password- Lemon drop. Singing shrilly, apparently trying to break a glass, the Fat Lady swung open and allowed the Gryffindors entry to the common room. While the older students dispersed into their respective dormitories, the ten new students stayed for a while and admired the common room.

It was very cozy. There were couches and futons everywhere, in scarlet and gold. There were a few elegant oak tables to do homework on and window seats by the windows so you could just sit and relax. There was a roaring fire on the side of the room, with 3 comfortable-looking chairs in front of it, the firelight dancing on the fibers in curious patterns.

Suddenly, as if on cue, the fresh Gryffindors went off to their common rooms, each group passing a large bulletin board containing school notices. They said their good-nights and climbed their respective stairs; girls to the left, boys to the right.

Both of the dormitories were just as cozy as the common room, minus the fire. The beds were large, luxurious scarlet 4-posters. There was also one cushy chair facing the window farthest from the bathroom door in each.

In the girl's dormitory, there were six beds. Closest to the door was Lily, followed by Mary, then Mariah, then Maddi, and finally Daria and Emily. The girls changed into their pajamas, still laughing over a joke Mary had told in the Great Hall, which was a bit surprising because Mary had seemed so shy at first. They all agreed that they would unpack together in the morning and climbed into bed before they realized that they had forgotten to turn the lights out.

"Oh, fiddlesticks, we've forgotten about the light!" exclaimed Mary, studying it as if trying to decide if she had the energy to get out of bed and extinguish the light.