Chapter 27

The group decided to sleep at the tower that night, since the scarlet sky had grown into twilight and believed they needed the rest. But by the time the day's first rays of light breached the tower's open windows, they were wide awake and fidgeting in place. They couldn't help but notice that the air seemed colder.

They packed the rest of their supplies and began to discuss the best way of travel. Though they never expected what Reshiram offered.

"I can take you all," she informed. "I'll fly us there."

"All three of us?" Iris gasped. "Even our supplies?"

Reshiram nodded. "Of course."

It was decided then. The group tied their supplies to Reshiam's side like makeshift saddlebags, but were careful not cause her discomfort. She never complained.

Once everything was ready, they each piled onto her back. Ash was in front, settled between her shoulders and neck. Iris was behind him on the dragon's shoulders. Cilan was last, wedged between her shoulders and her mighty wings. Axew had returned to his nest in Iris's hair and Pikachu was snuggled in Ash's backpack.

With everyone settled, Reshiram careful walked over to the platform from the evening before. It was then they suspected it was actually most likely a launch pad. And with a whisper of warning, Reshiram tore into the air with a great flap of her wings.

***

Strong winds tore at Ash's clothes and slapped his face. He had taken off his hat long ago to prevent it from flying off. Sometimes he would shiver from a cold blast, but usually Reshiram provided warmth and protection from the endangering conditions. Their trip had actually showed Ash how the dragon flew so well despite her large size. He was surprised it was science more than anything.

Reshiram had slight control over the atmosphere by releasing heat into the air. Since heat rises and cold sinks, she is able to manipulate its motions. When she flew, not only did she use magic and her anatomy, but she released small amounts of warmth, creating a cushion keeping her aloft. She could fly without flapping at all, but she uses her wings to aid in the action and she commented that it simply feels more natural.

Despite the seemingly uncomfortable conditions, the children quickly adjusted, barely noticing the unpredictable patterns. Iris and Cilan had actually fallen asleep. Ash understood. Even though they insisted staying in the tower, everyone had a restless sleep. And besides, Ash wouldn't be surprised if they had horrible sleep for weeks while they looked endlessly for him.

In their slumber, Iris had fallen into Cilan with the older teenager's head falling on her shoulder. They snoozed loudly, almost on the verge of snoring. Ash chuckled at their awkward sleep. However he continued to stare ahead at nothing, a stern expression on his face and locked in his thoughts. Reshiram noticed, having her glance at him.

"What bothers you, little one?" she asked.

Ash heaved a loud sigh. "Everything. There's a man-eating monster out there wanting to kill us, I find out everything in my life is a lie, my long-lost uncle is a crime lord—" He buried his face in his hands before he could continue. After a long moment of silence, he ended up whimpering, "I don't know what to do, Reshiram."

The dragon turned her gaze back to the air before them, but their conversation was far from over.

"What does your truth tell you?" she asked.

Ash fought not to scold her that was the worst advice ever. "I don't know what my 'truth' says! I don't know what's the truth anymore!" He let his head hang before adding, "I just don't know why Mom didn't tell me all of this before..."