Chapter 5

A/N: I hope all of you enjoy this new chapter! I'm sorry it's taken so long to get this posted! I've been really busy with work/school/two swim teams. I wanted to take the time to update this, though.

Happy Holidays to all my lovely readers!

*******

The next morning, we were all gathered in the living room, most of us armed with spray bottles. I was exempt from this, being unable to see. I wasn't quiet sure what exactly was going on, except that it had something to do with Doxies.

I was told to cover my face with my clothes, and I did my best to do so, not quiet sure why exactly this was necessary. No one had really bothered to explain the procedure to me so, I just did as I was told.

"Cover your faces and take a bottle," Mrs. Weasley said to Harry and Ron as they straggled into the room, probably having just woken up, "it's Doxycide. I've never seen an infestation this bad—what that house elf's been doing for the last ten years-"

I was sure Hermione had shot her an angry look, having heard all about her movement to treat house-elves better, SPEW, or something like that, I believe she called it. "Kreacher's really old, he probably couldn't manage-" she protested.

"You'll be surprised what Kreacher can manage when he wants to, Hermione," said Sirius, appearing behind me, putting his hand on my shoulder, "Sorry about last night, Kat. I didn't mean to be rude. No hard feelings," he said softly. I nodded. More loudly, he announced to the room, "I've just been feeding Buckbeak. I keep him upstairs in my mother's bedroom. Anyway…this writing desk…"

I heard him drop something onto an armchair, which I later found out was a bucket of dead rats. Most people would probably be disgusted by something like that, but it honestly did not really bother me all that much. I loved magical creatures; Charlie and I had often helped feed some of the animals after class during our years at Hogwarts.

Footsteps retreated towards the desk, which I could hear shaking slightly, grinding against the wooden floor.

"Well, Molly, I'm pretty sure this is a boggart," said Sirius, "but perhaps we ought to let Mad-Eye have a shifty at it before we let it out—knowing my mother it could be something much worse."

I remembered boggarts well. In my old family home, there was one living in my wardrobe. It took me years to get rid of it. I finally managed to laugh it away by making the terrifying feral bear wear a tutu, while riding a unicycle and juggling broomsticks, quite a funny image if you think about it. My parents had, of course, refused to get rid of it for me, saying it was my problem and that I would just have to deal with it until I could get rid of it.

"That's probably a very accurate statement," I said, shuddering at the memory of his mother. She was quite the intimidating witch. Though I had only encountered her a few times, always under the supervision of Sirius, she had left a permanent impression on me.

Both of their voices sounded oddly strained, like they were making an extra effort to be polite to one another. "What's all this about?" I whispered to Harry, motioning to the general area from which I heard Mrs. Weasley and Sirius's voices.

"I'll explain later," he whispered back. I nodded, curious.

Just then, a loud, clanging bell sounded from downstairs, which was met at once by the screams of Mrs. Black's portrait, just as loud as they were the night before.

"I keep telling them not to ring the doorbell!" said Sirius, clearly exasperated, hurrying out of the room to try and shut the portrait up.

Mrs. Black's screeches were fully audible throughout the house, "Stains of dishonor, filthy half-breeds, blood traitors, children of filth…