Chapter 4 // Breakout - Part II

"Ma'am," one guard began, "I don't think..."

"Are you questioning me?" she demanded, "Your queen?"

"You're not our queen," the second said without hesitation, "Not yet." Imelda moved over to him and even from my spot in a cell I could see the venom in her smile.

"Be that as it may," she said coolly, "You'll be well to keep your tongue in check next time we meet... or I fear, you might just lose it."

"Apologies,ma'am," the guard said gruffly, bowing his head.

"Let her out. And chain her arms together. I have need of her." the guards exchanged a look but didn't comment. I stepped back as one moved to my cell, keys clanking together, and unlocked my door with a clang. I waited impatiently as he moved towards me and snapped manacles onto my wrists. The metal was slimy,like everything else in the dungeons, and I couldn't stop the shiver of revulsion at the cold sensation.

I was led from the cell out into the corridor and I felt a brief flicker of relief. I was no longer in a cell – it was the most freedom I had felt for days. With a jerk the guard pulled me forwards, gloved hand hooked around my chains, and I stumbled through the water. Regaining my stance I glanced up at Imelda and her dark lips curved into an icy smile. If it was Claude, it was a very good disguise.

"Come along, Irene." She snapped impatiently, "I haven't all day." I shuffled forwards, eyeing her with caution and curiosity. Claude had told me not to worry... that it would be him. But she couldn't possibly be...?

"What do you want?" I asked eventually, coming to a stop before her. Behind me I could hear the guard locking my cell door closed again, the damp metal screaming as it turned.

"That's for me to know, and for you to find out." Imelda said just as icily. She grabbed my shoulder, roughly shoving me before her. I was marched out the open door and back up the stairs, more than once slipping on the stairs. Imelda said nothing the entire time, though I could feel her eyes on my back, a cold breeze. Once we had climbed the stairs and were outside, standing in a stone corridor, I turned to watch as she closed the door behind her.

Did I ask if it was Claude? I worried that if I did, and it wasn't suspicions would be raised and I would mess up Claude's plans. Nothing stupid... he had said. I stayed silent.

"Irene,"she said, her voice shifting into a warmer tone, "Its me." taking that as the answer I had wanted I grinned.

"Claude?"I asked. She nodded, turning to lead me along the corridor.

"Come on," she said huffily, "We need to get moving."

"Can't you... can't you undo my arms first?" I asked, holding my wrists out to her –him? There was a flicker of almost contempt across her face but it was so quick I couldn't be sure it happened. A moment later she snapped her fingers in my direction and the manacles came loose. "Thanks." I smiled, rubbing my wrists.

"Think nothing of It." she smiled.

I was led along the corridor and up two flights of stairs – I had no idea where we were going, but I trusted that Claude had a plan. I couldn't dispel the concern that we were climbing up rather than escaping downwards. As we twisted off onto a new corridor I heard footsteps and froze. If guards found us, with my manacles off – it would be an odd and suspicious sight.

"Irene?"a voice cried from behind us. I stiffened – that voice wasn't one of anger but...recognition? I turned to see Imelda watching us... but Imelda was standing beside me. I glanced between the two of them. One had to be Claude, and I just prayed to Mīla above that he was the one standing beside me. Beside me Imelda stiffened, either from anger or fear.