Chapter 2 // A Stolen Heart - Part I

Cedric rolled over in his sleep, moaning quietly. The sheets tugged at his arms as he struggled to move onto the other side of the bed. He wore no shirt and his pale skin glowed like snow. He was woken by a quiet sound, as if someone had just breathed. Eyes flying open, he sat up in bed and glanced around to see Imelda watching him, her black hair tumbling down over her shoulders. He started – why was she in here?

"Cedric," she smiled at him eyes sparkling, "How lovely to see you." her perfect teeth sparkled just as brightly as her eyes. She wore light nightclothes, far too thin for the season, and he felt heat fill his cheeks.

"What are you doing in here?" he asked, eyebrows furrowing, "You shouldn't be in here." He wanted her to leave, but wasn't sure how to ask her to.

"I had to see you," she said simply, "I had to talk to you." her smile widened and she shifted closer to him.

"About what?" Cedric sighed, moving to pull a shirt on. He edged slightly away.

"No, no! Don't do that." Imelda smiled, sitting down beside him. She grabbed his hands in hers and leant towards him, eyelashes fluttering, "I really like you, Cedric." She smiled. His fingers curled around the shirt tightly like claws. he instinctively grabbed them and tore them away.

"You barely know me," he hissed, confused, "You don't..." he stopped speaking as Imelda held her finger up to his lips. Her skin was colder than the night air.

"I don't need to know you to like you," she whispered, "All I need to know is that I like you." she suddenly pressed her lips against his in a kiss and he pulled away sharply. Guilt welled up inside him, despite the fact he hadn't done anything wrong.

"Imelda!" he cried, "I apologize if I have misled you, but i... do not feel for you that way..."

"I know you don't," Imelda grinned, "And it makes me curious. How do you resist my charms? I have every man in the kingdom wrapped around my little finger, but you.... you do not even notice me if my cousin is in the room." She sounded bored, possibly frustrated. The entire time she spoke, though, she kept the wide, almost fake smile plastered on her face.

"Because I love Irene," Cedric said firmly, "That is why." his heart thudded defiantly in his chest. Imelda may as well give up now.

"Well we should change that, then, shouldn't we." Imelda smiled sweetly, "If we are to be married..."

"If we are to... what?" Cedric cried, "Have you lost your senses? We are not getting married." his voice grew hard and sharp, and he moved to escort Imelda from the room.

"My dear man," Imelda laughed, "by the time morning comes; you will have no control over what you say." With a sudden swing she had slapped him straight across the face. He cried out in shock more than pain and stared at her.

"What is wrong with you?!" he snapped, "Get out!" she ignored his command and shoved him roughly back onto the pillows. He tried to grab her wrist and tear her off him but she was surprisingly strong.

"How rude," Imelda laughed, leaning down over him. Her black hair formed a curtain around their faces. She kissed him again and he found he could not move. It was as if his arms had been tied to the bed with iron chains. Cedric felt fear grab his heart with an iron fist. He had felt this before... hadn't he? A flash of light and he could almost see Imelda standing before him in the parchment coloured robe... she pulled from her pocket a vial of something that glowed like blood held before a light, red and luminescent. He eyes it warily, feeling his heart flutter, trying to escape the iron fist.