4

It's the start of the week again. Another week means, new set of schedule for duty. This time Maine is assigned to have a Community duty on the nearby province.

"hayyy, konti nalang talaga and hello semestral break!" she utterly said while on her way to her first class.

"Goooood morning!" Jake happily greeted her as she sits beside him. Jake is her "makulit na manliligaw" since First year College. She had rejected him a couple of times and told him that "friendship" is the only thing she can offer but damn, he's really determined to court her.

"Anong maganda sa morning?"

"Ikaw" he said, smiling

"Uyyy, ang aga-aga bumi-breezy moves ka na, umayos ka nga."

And the guy obliged her with no hesitations. He straightened his seat and just smiled as their clinical Instructor entered the room.

After four hours of discussions, reporting, and return demonstrations. "Finally! Break time!" She giddily said to her friends.

"Dude, I'm famish, can we eat as in now na?" Janeeva says

"Yeah, since we have atleast a few hours vacant before the next subject. Saan tayo kakain?"

"Hmm,. Maybe sa usual na tambayan natin, since I think vacant din nila Ola at Maryse. Call them."

"Sige..."

Maine dialled Ola's number and after a few ring, he answered it.

"Tol, saan ka? Huh? Ahhh ganon ba, papunta kami ni Janeeva doon sa tambayan. Si Maryse? Ahhh ganon ba, sige sige. Next time nalang. Okay sige bye."

"Oh, ansabe?"

"Wala, di daw sila makakasunod ni Maryse kasi may tinatapos silang group project."

"Ahhh, okay. Well can we just go then? I'm really starving to death na talaga"

"Sus! Drama. Oh sya oh sya tara na."

And they went to a nearby café. Ordered their usual, cappuccino and cheesecake for Janeeva and Mocha latte with croissant for Maine.

They were on the middle of a conversation when she suddenly noticed Janeeva froze, holding her fork with the pastry halfway through her opened mouth.

"Huy! Mukha mo!" Maine said a bit louder, as a result, her friend got startled and dropped her fork

"Syet friend, makagulat ka naman wagas!"

"Ikaw kasi, mukha kang timang. Anyare?"

"Eh keshe nemen, so pogi that guy oh" she said in a "pabebe voice" and pointed out the guy who was ordering on the counter. Maine got a little intrigued and so she directly looked at the guy. And then....

"Syet." She whispered. Gathered her things and "tara na, baka ma-late tayo."

"Anong ma-late? Hello?! We just got here, and hello again?! We still have atleast two hours noh!"

"Nako basta tara na kasi!"

"Bakit ba?! Ni hindi ko pa nga tapos tong kinakain ko eh!"

" ipa-takeout mo nalang, please."

"Ayoko nga, saan ko naman to kakainin aber?! Tsaka wag muna tayong umalis, ngayon na nga lang ako ulit makakita ng pogi." Her friend says while darting an eye on the guy.

"Hayyyy, bahala ka! Mauna nalang ako sayo.!" She said in exasperated tone

She stood up, gathered and carried her things. She was about to walk and then BAAAAAAAM!

The milkshake was spilled all over the guy's shirt, "shit" the guy cursed. Maine got shocked as well, looking at the scene. And then within a split second their eyes met. Eyes wide, both speechless for a moment.

"Ahh, soo...sorry." She said and immediately looked away.

"Maine" he said, a smile slowly forming on his lips.

"Look, I didn't know someone was coming so, sorry." She said without looking at the guy.

"I'll just pay or order a new one for you."

She was about to take a money on her wallet and go to the counter when the guy held her by the arm to stop her.

"No, it's okay. It's totally fine."

"Okay, thanks and sorry again." She grabbed her arm and about to exit the café when the guy speaks.

"Oppps, wait. I said it's totally fine that you wont have to buy me a new one but, BUT you still have to pay me."

"Pay you? Okay how much is it?"

" sorry, babe but I don't like you to pay me by cash."

"Then what?!"

"Have a coffee with me atleast?"

"What the?! And why should I join you?!"

"Hmmm..... Because you owe me?"

"Agghrrrrrh! No! I wont. If you don't want to accept my money then that's not my problem anymore!" She said and hurriedly walked outside the café, making him run after her.

"Wai..waiiiiit! Damn it, Maine wait up" he said while running towards her. He grabbed her arms again to stop her from running.

"Araaaay! Ano ba?! Bitawan mo nga ako!!!!!"

"No!" He said while trying to catch some air.

"Ano ba?!!!! Bakit ba?!!!! Bitawan mo ko.... Isa!"

"No, hindi kita bibitawan hangga't di ko nalalaman kung bakit ang init ng dugo mo sakin."

"Kapal din naman ng mukha mo noh?!"

"And why is that?!"

" sa tingin mo sasabihin ko sayo?!!!" She said, trying to unwrap her arm on his hand. "Just please, let me go!"

"No Maine, I wont, not unless you tell me what I did that made you hate me that much."

"Well. Okay. Fine! You really wanna know why? Well Mr. Richard Faulkerson Jr. I fucking thought you were my bestfriend. You know, it sucks! It sucks being left behind. Wondering what if I did something bad that made our friendship fade just like that. I mean, I know you were busy with school and stuff so I forgave you for not attending our weekend picnics, or hanging out sessions etc. But what hurts me the most was, You left without even saying goodbye. Okay na saken yung sabihin mo na, uyyyy ikaw babae, aalis na ako, atleast kahit papaano nagpaalam ka diba, pero hindi eh. Wala talaga. Ang sakit alam mo yun. I treated you well, but in return, it's like you  have thrown our friendship like a garbage." She said finally while wiping her tears.

She forcefully grabbed her arm and immediately run as far as she could. She cannot stand being near him.