Gods and Gigolos

Carved from a meteorite, the Shrine of the Star was the holy of holies in the religion of the Goddess. Glowing purple, the structure was shaped like an enormous conch shell; spiraled at the top, wide and open down its sloping knob stamped length, ending in a rounded point on its bottom. The light of its glow encompassed all of Al’Gaiya, the stone city built in and around the surrounding crater.

Al’Gaiya showed little of the effects of the earthquake that had rocked it twelve years prior during the festival of the Goddess. This was due to the rebuilding efforts organized by the High Priestess, Kalis, and the large donations given to her by Janri and Acrella, gests praised by the members of the many noble mermaid houses who had lost family in the disaster.

The majority of the stone city’s angular chapels, flat roofed temples, religious statues, and columned churches were restored and pristine. Yet just as it was prior to the earthquake, every building in the city was still dwarfed by the undamaged brightly lit purple conch in its center.

Down a hallway inside the Shrine of the Star’s dimmed purple interior, Kalis and a thin faced mermaid with her dark hair in a bun held together by chopsticks swam side by side. The mermaid at her side was Taola, Maiden Priestess, second to only Kalis in the hierarchy of the Shrine of the Goddess. Taola was currently seeking guidance from her superior sister.

“The shame of it is killing me,” Taola almost sobbed. “It has never happened where the High Priestess or the Maiden Priestess was forbidden from attending a Royal funeral.”

“Yes,” Kalis agreed sympathetically, “but you knew the Empress did not like us. We profited from the earthquake that killed the former High Priestess, Maiden priestess, and their prime successors. She lost a husband. She was never able to divorce our fortune from her misfortune.”

“But it’s as if she blamed us for an act of the Goddess!” she protested forcefully. “Just because I was catapulted into the position of Maiden Priestess, doesn’t mean I wished the deaths on those who tragically lost their lives that day. How could she not see that?”

The two came to a stop in front of closed double doors.

“There, there,” Kalis soothed, placing comforting hands of Taola’s shoulders, “take comfort in knowing that you know that your heart is pure. The Goddess knows it as well. Do not waste thoughts on the dead. They are not worth tears, grudges, or prayers.”

“Yes priestess,” Taola absorbed the elder’s words, “you’re right. There will be a new Empress soon. I will pray that the Goddess helps the Houses choose wisely at the Ural-Kai.”

“Good, keep your focus on the future,” Kalis said releasing Taola. “Now if you will,” she turned to the door, “I wish to pray in the Chapel of Mother Noanna by my lonesome.”

“Yes of course High Priestess,” Taola bowed.

 Kalis often prayed alone in this little used chapel, dedicated to the not too famous saint. But it was well known in the Shrine, that High Priestess found the simplicity of the chapel brought less interference to her prayers.

Stopping in the middle of her turn to leave, Taola addressed Kalis one more time. “I forgot mistress, but there is a monk from the Order of Our Goddess Grace staying at the shrine. He prays frequently at this chapel, and I believe he is in there right now. Do you wish that I remove him for you?”

“Thank you Maiden Priestess,” Kalis said while pushing open the door, “but I’m sure I can handle him.”

Before Taola could reply, Kalis had already entered the chapel.

The Chapel was drab in its decoration, with a simple stone alter, and very unimpressive mosaic of a swirl etched into the floor. There were only two rows of red moss covered pews in the small room. A hooded merman was stretched out on one these pews snoring asleep.