Seven | Studio Secrets Pt. II

March 29, 1987Chicago, Illinois

March 29, 1987
Chicago, Illinois

My time with Prince came and went. At the end of it all, we kissed and made up exactly how we always do. A pact was made to ignore the middle half of our meeting ever took place and we moved on. It never happened.

I came home a week after that day. I've been here since. Working is the main activity. Working on music, working on projects, working on my drinking habits, trying to work on myself in general. My days are still a little up and down sometimes. Thankfully, regardless of whether I am up or down, I can still find solstice in a recording studio anywhere across the city. Chicago Recording Company has become a personal favorite of mine. I go in with Jeff everyday and I get some good work done.

"Okay, whenever you're ready," Jeff says from the board. I give him my thumbs up. "You ready?"

"Dude, I just said I'm ready!"

"Oops."

"Now you got to cut this out— Just start the track." I laugh a bit with hidden frustration behind it. He's a bittersweet experience, Jeff is, but I find him to be more pleasurable than anything.

When Jeff starts the track, I'm free to let out all of my bottled up turmoil. Anger, sadness, confusion, all of it. My emotions range across the spectrum's entirety and I'm beginning to accept that as I figure out who I am becoming. I can see a lot of the music being recorded right now not even making it to an album. Albums don't matter to me right now. I only want to free myself of any parasitic thoughts and there is no way better than yelling into a microphone. Yesterday's session concluded in me belting about my dream orgasm, the one before ended in time machine as I sung to a groove that made me want to hit a discotheque and dance until my feet fall numb.

After waking up the day after Valentine's Day to an empty apartment, I felt a sense of relief in the silence of being alone. I'm working on adjusting to it. Prince and I may be acting as if nothing happened but I also haven't been on good terms with him. I tried to call him a couple times after coming home but he always had someone else answer. I was surprised by how many times it wasn't Susannah answering. Eventually, I realized I don't want to be bothered with him if he doesn't want to be bothered with me.

Our last conversation started out well. He was telling he'd gotten a new band, some new security, almost new everything. Things got sour in the midst of our conversation and next thing I know, I was yelling and crying. Of course, I told him to fuck off and he hung up in my face. That was his way of telling me that he had his own shit to deal with and he couldn't help me with my issues. Fine, I don't care. Who says I need his ass anyway? Nobody.

His timing is shit. So are Wendy and Lisa's as they come walking through the door in the middle of me pouring my heart into this record. I stop it. They don't need to hear this. Most of my friends are clueless to the disastrous details of my life and I, personally, would like to keep it this way. I don't want too many stares while I try to get over this bump in my road. As far as Wendy and Lisa are concerned, I'm doing great aside from a really intense breakup. Omar may have gotten lumped up at Flyte Tyme, only because I couldn't stop the word from spreading, but I just tell people that was something separate between him and Prince.