Eighteen | Koo Koo

November 28, 1987Chanhassen, Minnesota

November 28, 1987
Chanhassen, Minnesota

If Lyric can do it, so can Sheila. I'm sure he said something to the affect of that. And look at where we are now...

"I want Sheila and Cat gliding across here. Doing a sideways step type thing, ya dig? Cat can you incorporate that into your routine?" Cat nods her head as her jacket slips off shoulder. My watch read one nineteen in the afternoon. Paisley was now in full affect when it came to the production of P's videos and things to that extent. "Somebody get me a spray can because this eyeball is looking a little faded. "

The single was released some time before they went on tour. Sheila didn't promote anything because she ran off to play the drums in her boyfriend's band. The single didn't do anything in the United States. So, six months later, they convinced our label that a video would make it do something outside of the country. We'll see. I can give the most slammin' video they've seen and it still won't do much if the people aren't feeling it.

The graffiti filled walls are all you can see as a backdrop.  I had the some kids from the city come in here and do whatever they wanted. The floor is covered in spray paint as well. Top to bottom, all you see is art. Today is not only day two of shooting, but my last day to get all of the final touches done because I have my own business to handle in New York. I'm not panicking yet. So far, it's all working quite well. Everything is set.

Walking back to my chair, I watch Sheila get pulled back into wardrobe as her jeans cause a minor inconvenience.

Prince enters, I don't see him but I feel his spirit and it doesn't take long for him to approach me. "How is everything going? Is it all alright," Prince asks as he stands next to my chair. He's playing it cool. It's unfortunate that no matter how cool he plays it, I see his anxieties growing. I can't have him here making me nervous.

"Do not come on my set and start questioning how my production is going on."

His eyebrows raise along with his hands as he steps back. His retreating of a couple of feet is his surrender. "You skip your morning coffee?" His teasing goes unnoticed. I have something else on my mind.

I felt now would be the time to be honest with Prince and speak the truth he was avoiding. "You know this isn't going to change anything, right? The video's tight but this is going to sell anything, if you even care about the chart placement."

"Why do you say that?"

"You built the image of her being The Glamorous Life and wanting A Love Bizarre. This KooKoo shit screams Prince, not Sheila E. Too bad they don't know Prince is Sheila E." I giggle to myself as I pick up my water bottle.

I can't take my statement back because I mean it. Sheila Escovedo is a drummer. Sheila Escovedo can play with the best of the best. Sheila E. is another one of Prince's many vessels, known for the greatest of pop hits he's mustered up. Musically, she deserves better but she'll never get it because if you start with Prince then you peak with Prince. I've always known this. It's exactly why I waited as long as I could to ever sing something with his name on it.