Forty | Fresh Kryptonite

February 12, 1992Chicago, Illinois

February 12, 1992
Chicago, Illinois

"Okay if the baby isn't his, why are you upset..." My twin sister was trying to reason with my frustrations. A four-year-old Thaila is running through the snowy backyard with sixteen-year-old Eddie and eight-year-old Johnny. "Shouldn't we be celebrating?" Her optimism is looking a lot like delusion.

I clutch a throw pillow that belongs to her couch, hugging it for comfort as I struggle to explain what is happening to me. I didn't completely disown Prince. I wasn't in the position to do so. I agreed to the conditions of going back to the way things used to be. He called me like he would've when things were how they used to be, probably to vent. I don't know. All I know is that I did feel some type of way. I'm starting to feel like a fool.

I sigh, "Because..." My chin seeps into the pillow. "I can't understand why or even how he's okay with being involved with those girls enough for him to have to call me and warn me that this happened, when he knows I want to be with him. That feels so shitty."

"Have you told him that?"

My eyes narrow in irritation. "Shouldn't he already know that by now? He's the one doing all of this!"

"I think you should tell him." Instead of me replying, I focus my attention on door as a crying Alexis walks in and throws her purse on the couch. "What's wrong?" Fears elevating in the name of Alexis, Prince and I's tit for tat is a useless child's game.

The sight of her crying is scarce. Rarely do we ever see tears leave Alexis eyes. Her sniffles are soft and light, much like the cries of a beautiful babydoll. This is a hard pill to swallow. She and Jerome break up often for the simplest reasons. Some may even say those are not really break-ups, they're more so continuous breaks. They get tired of each other. I can relate to that one. 

"See, enough about me let's talk about Alexis and possibly Jerome."

Alexis sits up as she runs her hand across her face to wipe all of her tears. "Oh, I broke my curling iron, that's all." Aaliyah and I's faces fall flat. "Me and Jerome are all good. Perfect, actually. We going to dinner tonight." She giggles, leaning forward, taking the bowl of pretzels my sister is eating out of. "Why do y'all look so down?" A pretzel is popped into her mouth.

"She's mad at Prince again." Alexis' eyes roll. I'm not the only mad at Prince. She's been against him since Benny Medina's Halloween party. "Troy supposedly got pregnant and he felt the need to call her to say it wasn't true," explains Aaliyah.

Alexis pauses for a seconds or two. It seems that she is thinking or soaking in my sister's words. "He's boning her, still, and he's going in with no glove?" She places the bowel on the table as I knowingly nod. "Nelly, drop this punk! I'm tired of him and all of his shit. I love P, I really do, but I can't take this."

"He pulled a typical Prince move and you know how that goes." I hung up my metamorphic telephone on my hand. "So, I said fuck 'em."

"Good," cheers Alexis.