Chapter 16: Sirius

"...look up and see the madness organized in the stars." –Kelli Russell Agodon

***

The entire Order is rushing out of No. 12 Grimmauld Place as soon as the alert comes. Death Eaters are inside the Ministry of Magic, and so are half a dozen Hogwarts students.

"Cas—" Sirius cuts himself off. He can't not let her go; she's an adult, and he can't tell her what to do. He knows exactly how that conversation would go if initiated.

He would say, "Cas, you need to stay here. It's not safe there."

She would say, "I'm safe with you."

He would reply, "Not when there are a bunch of killing spells being sent my way."

She would reply, "Then maybe you shouldn't go either."

He would reason, "I need to. It's my job as a member of the Order."

She would reason, "I'm part of the Order, too. I'm going with you, Sirius. End of discussion."

And he would lose the argument, she would come anyway, and he would have no power to do anything more.

So Sirius doesn't say anything.

He just kisses her firmly, says, "Stay safe," and takes her hand to Apparate.

They land amongst the fighting, beams of white against the black clouds. Sirius immediately runs to Harry, who's being lured my Lucious Malfoy to give him the Prophecy. Sirius suddenly remembers when Cassie punched Lucious. It was only her second day at Hogwarts, and it landed her detention that required her to take note of poisonous plants around the Forbidden Forest. He'd been in the Forest that night due to the full moon (Remus had run off—that night was a disaster for him). He'd taken her to the meadow, and that's when he knew he was in love with her. So maybe he should thank Malfoy for potentially bringing them together. But he's not going to do that. Malfoy is a prick.

Soon, he's dueling Malfoy with Harry at his side, despite his efforts to make Harry get the hell out of here. He's just as stubborn as James. But he successfully disarms Malfoy, casting that ridiculous cane out of his hand. Sirius takes it from there, and Malfoy flies off the rock with a satisfying swoosh.

Sirius sees, hears, and feels the spell all at once. He winces, and then it's all over. He feels nothing. He is nothing. Everything goes dark, but once he can see again, he's at a train station. And then he hears it.