Best Friends

Dear Dad,
1,464 days.
Usually working at the hospital is like my escape from the real world where i can ignore my worries and problems. However yesterday the real world followed me through those sliding doors. Its hard to ignore the real world when someone from it starts living in your happy place. Jeremy Westcott was admitted there yesterday. The boy who lived across the street from us and was always too loud. I remember how embarrassed id always get when youd yell at him or complain to his parents. Although he used to keep me up half the night because of that music i still thought it was beautiful. He only lived across from us for about 2 months before the incident happend. Him being part of my daily routine at Tomorrow is like forcing me to wake up and realize theres no escape from the real world. Once the day is over ill still have to walk out those doors and start the process all over again the next morning. Im hoping he doesnt influence my day in a negative way. I just want to make everyone happy and if he refuses to be happy ill just anoy him till he tries. I love you dad. I know that no matter what i say you wont come back or reply but i just want you to know. I love you and that has never changed. What happend that night doesnt define who you are.
Sincerely,
Leaf

I folded the letter and put it in its envelope. I scanned over my entire desk looking for my postage stamps but my eyes finally rest on my phone. It was powered off. No lights blinking just a black screen.

Last night within a hour i got 85 messages and missed calls from Kyle. After the 84th i decided i couldnt handle the temptation of calling him back so its been off for about 10 hours now.

Hesitantly i held the power button waiting to be greeted by the formiliar bright light of my phone screen. By the time my phone turned on i had 200 text messages and 500 missed calls from kyle. Then i also had 10 messages from Alex.

All the messages, calls and voice mails went straight into the trash. Except 10 of them of course.

BEST FRIEND: Yo give me your attention.

BEST FRIEND: I want to hang out tomorrow.

BEST FRIEND: Answer me in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1.

BEST FRIEND: Now.

BEST FRIEND: you hate me.

BEST FRIEND: I ALWAYS KNEW YOU HATED ME!

BEST FRIEND: Its probably because im black!

BEST FRIEND: yeah thats right i brought race into it!

BEST FRIEND: I LOVE YOU! LOVE ME BACK!

BEST FRIEND: bitch.

I couldnt help but smile at all the text messages. Before i did anything i looked at my schedule trying to find out when i was supposed to meet with my patients.

It only took two rings for Alex to answer her phone.

"No im mad at you, you dont love me"

"I love you enough to hang out until 3:30"

"But thats only 10 hours"

"Take it or leave it Alex"

"Ill pick you up in 10."

"Ill be here"

"Bitch."

"Jerk."

I hear the formiliar beep to tell me that the other line has ended the call. Kyle called me right when i hung up on Alex. I answered only for a moment "Stop calling me!" I said before quickly hanging up so that he would have no time to speak.