Boxes

Forest Trail - Tent City. Morning. December 27. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****Althea's POV*****

With each step I took my heart quavered, not because I was tired but because I was scared. Jade's words echoed inside my thoughts. I suddenly felt an urge to turn back and go home. But there are questions that need to be answered and I could only find out the truth if I face Joy. Besides, I could already see the big tents from where I stood and I wanted to see Ate Linda once I get there.

Too late to go back. I took a deep breath and continued walking. 

Joy greeted me with a nod when I reached our meeting place. She was standing infront of her tent, wearing the same khaki uniform from this morning. Her face looked troubled for some reason. Like she already had a rough day although the day has just started. She didn't even smile at me like she usually do and just waited for me to come near her. I wasn't used to seeing Joy that way and it worried me. 

Maybe this wasn't a good time to come and talk to her?

But we had an agreement to meet this morning. I braced myself for what she's about to say.

Joy checked the time on her wrist watch as I greeted her with a smile. If not for the frown on her face, I would have given her a friendly hug. But looks like she's not in the mood for exchanging pleasantries, so I hesitated. 

Still, I'm hoping that Jade's wrong about her.

"I remember we agreed to meet at exactly 7:00 a.m.? The time now is 7:20. You're late." Joy said sternly and gave me a disapproving gaze.

My smile vanished and the confidence I mustered a while ago was replaced with more uncertainty.

"Sorry, I had to finish some errands back home. But I'm here now."  I replied apologetically and greeted her with a hug anyways. Hoping it would calm her down.

Joy sighed in resignation and hugged me back, but quickly pulled away.

"Next time, be here early Althea. I don't have all day to wait for you." 

"I'm really sorry Joy, it won't happen again. So what's  this meeting for?" I asked urgently, curiosity taking over me. 

Joy didn't answer. Instead, she held my wrist firmly and dragged me out of the place.

We started walking towards another tent which was not too far from hers. I don't recall a tent in that area before. But judging from the two soldiers stationed at the entrance, the barbed wire fence around the perimeter and the "Authorized Personnel Only" sign posted infront.. I realize it's some sort of miltary headquarters or office.

Now I'm anxious. Why is Joy taking me there? I tried to wriggle free from her grip but she's strong. She wasn't hurting me but it felt uncomfortable.

Joy looked at me in confussion and tightened her grip even more. I met her gaze.

"Joy, I don't want to go inside." 

"You can't go back Althea. Just follow my lead and pretend you're not worried." She replied coldly.

Joy's acting weird and I'm starting to get scared.

The place was large and surrounded by soldiers. Their eyes were constantly on us as we passed by. Now I'm starting to believe Jade, but I thought it would be wise to do as I'm told at the moment. I'm in her territory and should be careful with my every move.

We were almost at the entrance when a man in uniform welcomed us and saluted Joy. 

"Ma'am, we found the place."