Chapter 2

I like walking through the town. Seeing peoples small crops, hanging tomatoes, flowers, it's all so beautiful. I usually only go out at dawn. Watching the sun rise was the way I liked to start my day. The mixes of the purples, pinks and oranges that blend together so easily. They give me a warm feeling inside, hope. To add onto this, I'm going on a medicine run all by myself today. I continue walking on the gravel road until I hit the gates. "What is your means of business?" The guard asked. "I'm going on a run." I guess the guard recognized my voice. "Oh. Miss Jackson I hadn't realized it was you. Access granted. Thomas open the gates!" Just as he said that the gates opened. I nod to the guard and walk through the gates now exposed. I took the truck keys out of my pockets and unlocked the truck with two clicks. I jumped, startled by the gate closing. "I will never get use to that." I stated to myself. I open the cold metal door and slid in. I've been driving since I was 13 years old. I close the door and use my hands to brush the hair out of my face. Suddenly my car door opens and someone steps inside. "So, where we going Emdoe." He said. I dart a face at him," I told you not to call me that Daniel, and get out of the truck." He smiled at me," Ok. While I'm at it I guess I'll tell your father you're not actually going on a run. You're leaving the state." I quickly turned and looked at him. He wasn't wrong. I was leaving. My bags were packed and I wanted to see what the outside had to offer. "... Or you let me come with and I won't say a word." I sat there for a moment pondering. If my dad found out I left he would kill me himself. "Fine." I muttered. "Great." He steps back outside the truck and lifts two black suitcases into the back. He then slides back into my passenger seat and buckles his seat belt. Let me give you a little inside on Daniel. He is your classic school asshole and jock. Even in the apocalypse, people are douche bags. That barely even begins to describe him.