Chapter 3

I would be lying if I said Daniel isn't attractive, he is. However, I didn't let that stop me. I pulled around the corner of a shopping area. A small town filled with little shops. Tiny parlors and stores lined up next to each other. I'd never seen a small town, being from the suburbs as a child. I pulled in front a store called 'Caleb Commons'. It was a shop filled with groceries and pharmaceuticals. I broke the glass door and stepped inside. It was as if a tornado went through the store itself. Things were knocked off the shelf and on the floor. I took my knife out of my back pocket and used my bat to tap the floor. No roamers came out so I continued into the store. I pulled a basket out of the cart return and started down the canned good isle. I grabbed cans of vegetables and fruits. Daniel had headed down to the personal care for men. I also went to the personal care for women. I grabbed some feminine products and toiletries like toilet paper. For whenever the time may come, I grab a couple boxes of pregnancy tests. I hadn't planned on going home anytime soon. I went to leave the store and saw Daniel already emptying his basket into the covered bed of the truck. The cover was metal so nothing was going anywhere. I put everything except a bag of chips and a few water bottles I had grabbed.

     I sat in the drivers seat and soon followed Daniel in the passengers. He buckled up and looked at me,"Do you think you're pregnant?" I put on my seatbelt and turned the key in the ignition. "No. At some point I would like to have children. That's true. However, I know it probably won't happen. It's just something that gives me hope." Being the world we live in people usually start to have kids at sixteen. Keeping the world populated is like our duty. I never had a boyfriend long enough to want to have babies. I just kept driving down the highway and ignored his blatant stare. After a few minutes he looked away. "I hope you know I've never done that before." I looked at him, "Done what?" He looked out his window, "Had sex. I've never felt that close to someone." I looked back out the front window and laughed, "You expect me to believe that the hottest guy in our little school has never had sex?" He turned to me and in a cocky tone said, "You think I'm the hottest guy in the school?" Being that we had one school in the entire civilization I did. "Don't boost your ego. There's not many guys our age in the compound." He smiled and turned back to the road.