1. He's Gone.|Elena's POV.

I stood there, my feet barefoot on the cold hardwood floors of the two story house Stefan and I share. It was lonely without him, but I completely understood that Stefan had to serve our country, something I felt very, very proud of.

It wasn't like he didn't get time off, because every now and then he does. When does he usually brings me home little sovuniers to put up on the shelf by the fire place. It made me smile every time I looked over at them, because I knew that my Prince charming had gotten them for me.

I heard a knock at the door, taking me away from all the wonderful memories. I sighed and wondered who was here, but soon enough, I was at the door. When I opened the door, I was face to ace with an veteran solider and a high up official from their department. The look on their faces were one of sorrow and complete and utter disappointment.

I licked my lips, feeling my heartbeat speed up. Why were they at my door? What happened to Stefan? He's okay, right?

I took a deep breath and pushed unwanted thoughts from my head, putting a lock of golden brown strand of hair behind my ear as I stared at the two men that currently stood in front of me.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I finally asked, still feeling confused as to why they could be at the house.

The veteran cleared his throat. "Yes. I am looking for Elena Gilbert."

"That's me." I told him.

The sergeant looked down at his fingers than back to me. "Miss Gilbert it is with my deepest sorrow to tell you that Soilder Salvatore died in battle."

I blinked, feeling my heart speed up. This has got to be a dream. It couldn't be real.

"W-what?" I stuttered, not being able to control anything at the moment. "There's got to be some mistake. Stefan can't be dead. There had to have to been an error somewhere in your paperwork. Stefan's not dead."

"We're so sorry for your loss, Miss Gilbert." The sergeant said. "We will have someone to return his things to you from his barracks from the grounds as soon as possible. "

I nodded, but my mind was slow in processing anything. Stefan was dead...

This can't be happening. Stefan couldn't be dead.

"Thanks. Have a nice day, gentlemen. " I said and shut the door, locking it behind me.

My heart was literally pounding out of my chest. I found it difficult to breath as I felt my knees give out, sinking my whole body towards the wooden floors. I sobbed into the floor, not caring if the neighbors had called the police about my loud sobbing fess.

I got up shakily so from the floor after a few moments, allowing me to regain myself to at least make it up to our room so that way I could break down once more in a more comfortable space.

The pain of losing Stefan was unbearable. I couldn't seem to process it still. How can someone so funny, sweet, and even caring be gone from this world?

That thought alone made me burst into tears again as I climbed into the big king sized bed and lightly placed the covers over my sobbing body. I let out a yowl of pain as I curled Stefan's pillow to my chest.

This wasn't a dream. This was actually happening. Stefan was gone. No more to exist. I shut my eyes, trying to stop the tears from flowing, but nothing was working.

Soon my sobbing had dragged me under and I was in a numbing darkness that no one could have ever find me in.