One

Author's Note: Hello everyone! For those of you that have already read Jane [h.s.], this is NOT a sequel! This is a longer version from her perspective as she grows up and how she feels inside of the institution. Some things will be the same and there will be a good number of new scenes and people! Thanks for reading! I hope you love it just as much as you loved Jane!

Jane is four years old when it happens. She's only four years old when she starts to hear things that aren't there and she's only four years old when the paranoia starts to settle in.

The class is outside for recess and the sun is high in the sky and shining down with an intensity that makes everyone sweat after only a few moments. Jenny's on the swings with her and she's talking about the nasty cookies that her mother made her for dinner the night before. Her mother isn't really the best cook and she's got a new story about gross food every day.

Jane's listening and staring at her feet as they swing back and forth beneath her. She loves sitting on the swings and just taking in everything about her surroundings. It's relaxing and the feeling of weightlessness is among her favorite feelings.

Maybe her mom is trying to poison her like your mom is trying to poison you.

Jane's eyes widen and her head snaps around quickly to find who the voice belongs to. There's no one near them, but the voice sounded like it was right next to her ear and she's a little frightened. It was faint, a little less than a whisper, but it's enough to make her incredibly uncomfortable.

Since no one's there, she tries her best to ignore what she heard and to listen to her friend tell her story.

Do you really trust her?

There it is again.

Jane stiffens in her seat, her eyes wide and her heartbeat increasing with each passing moment. Jenny doesn't seem to have heard anything and she's still talking about how nasty and burnt her mom's chicken was the night before.

"Jenny?"

Her friend looks at her with a confused look in her eyes, "What?"

Jane looks around and holds the chains on the swing a little tighter than she needs to, "Did you hear that?"

Jenny looks at her like she's one of those people that get taken away in the vans. "Hear what?"

Her eyes drop to look at the way that her feet push the dirt around, "N-nothing."

She doesn't say anything else for the remainder of the school day. The voice that she heard scared her and she doesn't want anything bad to happen. Jane thinks that if she just keeps to herself it won't happen again and she'll be okay.

And it works until her parents pick her up and start asking her about how her day went. Jane's telling them all about how Thomas tried to eat his crayons and the snacks that they had when the voice returns. It's different this time and it's still as faint as it was the last time, but it's just as frightening as the previous time. Jane stops talking and starts to look around, but her parents don't think much of it because they think that she's seen something outside the window that's caught her eye.

There's nothing there though and Jane's terrified. She doesn't know what's going on and she doesn't want to tell her parents because they might think that she's like the people that get taken away. Jane doesn't want to be taken away, she loves her house and she loves her parents and she wants things to stay the way that they are. She's fine.

She's fine.

Jane heads to her room when they get home and she tries to distract herself with coloring. The bright colors should be enough to keep her occupied and to keep her mind away from the strange voice that she heard earlier.